New 20 Long Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bacteria would service a day or two IMO but there really isn't a reason to move the filter over until you put the fish/livestock in the tank. If I were you, right before I go to get the fish I would put the established filter on the new tank. How long has this "established" filter been running on your 29 gallon? I have done several 'instant cycles' and have been very successful. Just don't add all of the fish at once.

fishfanatic said:
The bacteria would service a day or two IMO but there really isn't a reason to move the filter over until you put the fish/livestock in the tank. If I were you, right before I go to get the fish I would put the established filter on the new tank. How long has this "established" filter been running on your 29 gallon? I have done several 'instant cycles' and have been very successful. Just don't add all of the fish at once.

Well I seeded the filter for a week and a half and putted it on the tank planning to getting ammonia tonight, long story short I didn't get any and I don't want to move the filter back to the 29 just for one night, that's why it's there right now with no fish/ammonia.

Ya the bacteria will be fine. But I might also suggest moving some of the established filter media from your 29 gallon filter into your filter on your 20 gallon, just to make sure you have some BB. Other than that I think you are on the right track :)
BTW instead of buying ammonia you could just buy a few fish.

A week & 1/2 really is not long enough to seed a filter properly. It takes a few weeks to grow your bacterial colonies- it doesn't happen overnight. Do you plan on a fishless cycle or fishin cycle?

fishfanatic said:
Ya the bacteria will be fine. But I might also suggest moving some of the established filter media from your 29 gallon filter into your filter on your 20 gallon, just to make sure you have some BB. Other than that I think you are on the right track :)
BTW instead of buying ammonia you could just buy a few fish.

Yea I did move some over from the established one :). I thought about maybe just using my one molly,, I guess it's a decent option being it shouldn't take too long cycle...

jlk said:
A week & 1/2 really is not long enough to seed a filter properly. It takes a few weeks to grow your bacterial colonies- it doesn't happen overnight. Do you plan on a fishless cycle or fishin cycle?

You're probably right, but I did move a lot of the established media over to the new one, so I should have some good bacteria in there. Probably fishless, unless it would be a quick cycle with a couple fish...

abrage22 said:
You're probably right, but I did move a lot of the established media over to the new one, so I should have some good bacteria in there. Probably fishless, unless it would be a quick cycle with a couple fish...

In theory your tank should be 'insta cycled' by the seeded filter media. I have not cycled a tank since I got my first tank cycled, and everything always works out fine. If you just add the stock slowly then the BB will have time to increase in numbers. I think one or two mollies is a good start.

I think I'm gonna go with this light here, unless anyone has a better suggestion. I'm looking for medium-ish light.

Aqualight with Colormax & 6700k Fluorescent T-5 Lamps - 18W - 30 in.

I bought that setup a few months ago for my 29g. I think that would be at least medium on a 20 long. I like this fixture a lot better then the light that came with the tank. I think you would be happy with it. I have a couple swords a crypt, some moneywort... and they are all doing well with the light. I was surprised when I got it that it was a coralife fixture. I thought it was going to be some cheap brand for the price. Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like.

http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Gallery/ItemLarge/t5detail1.png
http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Gallery/ItemLarge/t5detail3.png

smallfry53 said:
I bought that setup a few months ago for my 29g. I think that would be at least medium on a 20 long. I like this fixture a lot better then the light that came with the tank. I think you would be happy with it. I have a couple swords a crypt, some moneywort... and they are all doing well with the light. I was surprised when I got it that it was a coralife fixture. I thought it was going to be some cheap brand for the price. Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like.

http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Gallery/ItemLarge/t5detail1.png
http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Gallery/ItemLarge/t5detail3.png

Yea I got the light a couple days ago, it looks nice. Im thinking of switching out the colormax bulb for a 10000k bulb though.

Well I put my molly in the tank last night. No ammonia on the API test kit yet, when about should I start seeing some?

abrage22 said:
Well I put my molly in the tank last night. No ammonia on the API test kit yet, when about should I start seeing some?

If all is well with the BB then you shouldn't ever see ammonia. Maybe a little but I don't think you would even notice with the test kit.

If all is well with the BB then you shouldn't ever see ammonia. Maybe a little but I don't think you would even notice with the test kit.

So if none shows up, say by tommorow night (well today I guess), then I should be able to assume it won't show up at all and is therefor safe for other fish?

You will need to stock your tank very gradually. It may be handling the ammonia level from a single fish but this does not mean it will handle the amm level of a fully stocked tank. Only add a few fish at time & continue to test daily. If all is well after a week, you can add a few more & continue to monitor your levels. If you see spikes in amm/nitrite, you will need to do water changes to keep your fish healthy until your bb adjust upwards. Do not add any more fish until your tank has been stable for atleast a week.

jlk said:
You will need to stock your tank very gradually. It may be handling the ammonia level from a single fish but this does not mean it will handle the amm level of a fully stocked tank. Only add a few fish at time & continue to test daily. If all is well after a week, you can add a few more & continue to monitor your levels. If you see spikes in amm/nitrite, you will need to do water changes to keep your fish healthy until your bb adjust upwards. Do not add any more fish until your tank has been stable for atleast a week.

+1 slow and steady wins the race!

I got this piece of driftwood online.

It's really soft, I hope it doesn't end up rotting...

Attachments

• image-2990585051.jpg
    image-2990585051.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 55
Put in the driftwood and my anubias tonight, still have to move it around a little but thats the focal point.

Attachments

• image-3596419943.jpg
    image-3596419943.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 57
abrage22 said:
Put in the driftwood and my anubias tonight, still have to move it around a little but thats the focal point.

Wow i really like it. It will look even better once things start filling in

Where did you buy the driftwood? And if you know the name too please!! It looks awesome an your whole tank its gonna look even better!!

Back
Top Bottom