New 20g Aquarium Beginner Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My wife and I talked 2 days ago about getting my son an aquarium for his 3rd birthday because he loves seeing fish on tv and when we are at the zoo etc. We are now getting an aquarium and she ordered a stand so I am tasked with the rest.

I've read a ton of information over the last few days on what to get but have a few questions. We will most likely be purchasing Glofish because they really pop and will be interesting for him to watch. The plan is to get a 20g tall tank because a wide won't fit the stand. I am going to purchase a Aquaclear 50 (or 75 if recommended). This tank will be in a basement that receives little natural light.

Will this tank support 6 glo tetra and 6 glo barb or will the barbs attack the tetras? AQ Advisor says the tank load is acceptable at 87%. I plan on starting with 2 tetras because I cannot convince my wife to do a fishless cycle for 1-2 months. I'd also like live plants. I'll then add the other fish once the tank is cycled.

Basic list of required items:
1. 20g tank
2. 20g tank lid
3. Aquaclear 50 or 75?
4. Heater. Preferred brand and wattage? I've read that Aqueon or Eheim Jager are best.
5. Lights. 1 white light for plants/general use and 1 smaller blue one to accent the Glofish occasionally or just go with an adjustable LED setup? Lights must be able to go on a timer. Preferably a wifi controlled timer I already have and not a DC inline one.
6. API Master Kit
7. API conditioner or Seachem Prime
8. Pool filter sand how deep in bottom?
9. Recommended starter plants

I'll purchase most of this local because I need it today or tomorrow to setup so that my son can pick out a fish on Saturday.

TL;DR
1. AQ50 or 75 for 20g tall.
2. Can you mix 6x black skirt tetra with 6x tiger barb
3. Best plants for fish in cycle.
4. Best lights for Glofish and plants. Must be timer compatible.

Welcome.

I wouldn't go with the AC 75. The AC 50 should be plenty.
I've used fluval heaters in the past and haven't done too bad with them, but everybody has been raving about Aqueon Pro heaters, so I recently got a couple of them. They seem really well made, and look better with a dark/black background. Depending on the ambient temp and target tank temp, you'll probably need 100w. Ideally imo you'd probably want to go with 2 50w heaters, but one 100w should work.

If you are doing a planted tank you'll probably want the substrate around 2-3".
Crypts and anubias are a couple easy plants, among others

Thanks. I’ll go with the AC50 and probably 2x50 watt heaters. The basement is probably 68-70F. I forget what target temp I need but I’ll check later.

How well does the blue sand they sell at pet stores work? Will it hold its color. Just checked and it’s argonite. I’m reading mixed info for using it in freshwater tanks. I might just stick with gravel.

Edit: AQAdvisor says 68-78.8F for temperature. Basement is probably 66-70F upon further reflection.

Last edited:
I don't think Tiger Barbs are a good mix with any tetras. These barbs are very active and a bit aggressive and get fairly large. I'd stick with tetras or maybe glo zebrafish,

Thanks rlederer. I think I will just stick with the tetras. I didn't realize how big the barbs got until I did a bit more research after reading your comment.

Back
Top Bottom