New 20g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

energizerpro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I finally after many years, and about a week of scouring this forum from one end to the other put my first fish into the tank today. :D

Thanks to everyone who has posted up about their tanks. All the information was extremely useful.

At the present time, my Fire Mouth is sitting at the bottom of the tank.

For those who wish to view the tank once I get it going I will be putting a webcam (or two) on it...

e-cat said:
congragulations on your new tank, firemouths are cool little cichlids

Yea, I used to have a Tiger Oscar, but he passed on of old age... That was a quite a few moons ago... Darn thing used to eat almost anything that was fed to him. I have a 55g out in the garage, but no one wants me to set it up. :evil:

So I settled for putting in the firemouth as well as an oscar down the road in a week or two...

Where can one aquire the Bio-Spira?

i wouldnt recomend an oscar in a 20 gallon tank, you know how big and messy there are if you have owned on already.

i wouldnt recomend an oscar in a 20 gallon tank, you know how big and messy there are if you have owned on already.

just have to call around for the bio-spira.

from what i hear, there is someone who will ship it to you in cold packs if you can't find a local retailer (i've had a hard time finding anyone locally, because they all balked at having to purchase a dedicated fridge for the stuff)....or you can just cycle the "old-fashioned" way...

how big did your other oscar get? my brother has 2, that kinda scare me they're so big and....carnivorous :lol:

You put an osacr in a 10 gallon tank for years. Man that is just cruel. He probly wasn't messy cause he couldn't do anything in that small of a tank.

He wasn't that big... He got to maybe 5".... We had a 55 gallon, but he never got too big... I was at my friend's house last night and he has 2 in a 20g that he has had for 2 years, and neither are over 5"...

thats just wrong man, all the oscars i have owned where over 5" in 3 months!
you need too do reserch on fish before you by them, oh yeah a 5" oscar isnt messy when they get 10"-16" thats when there really messy, yours never got a chance too grow. 0X

0 kudos to you for ignorance.

The reason your oscar never got any bigger is that you stunted their growth keeping them in such a small tank. That is the same reason that goldfish in bowls stay small even though they can grow to 1.5 feet in length.

Putting an Oscar in a 10 gall tank is like putting putting a guppy in a match box. The reason it only got to 5" was probabley the aquarium it was in. I have just recently got rid of two Ocsars The first one a marble Oscar was 13" and the Tiger Oscar was 14". They spent most of there time in a 150 gallon tank (uk Gallons ) and grew very quickly.

Gez, you guys are being pretty hard on the guy......Its great you are able to have a 150 gallon tank but a lot of people are not able to do that. It's ok to stunt the growth of goldfish but not oscars? Where do you draw the line? or do you go around and call all the little kids that have goldfish bowls ignorant because that fish could really get to be 1.5 feet but they aren't letting it.

Back
Top Bottom