new 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
just a few question. first, how do you know when you are completely cycled. I thought i was cycled and put fish in but i really wasn't. Now how do i know when im cycled? other than chem readings. Also, what is a biowheel?

Chem readings are really the only way you can tell. Regardless of the method of cycling you use, you should see an ammonia spike, followed by a NO2 spike, followed by a gradual increase of NO3 and a decline of NO2 and Ammonia. When NO2 and Ammonia are 0 (after the initial spike) your tank is cycled.

Here's a link for a biowheel

A Bio-Wheel is a type of filter that generally hangs on the back of the tank and has a unique 'paddle-wheel' (like an 'ole Mississippi boat). After the water has passed through the back filter, it travels over the 'wheel', which turns, before it re-enters the tank.

The 'wheel' itself looks like an accordian of paper folded upon itself to increase the surface area in which beneficial bacteria can grow and live. The turning motion ensures that the 'wheel' is always wet, and can add to the overall oxygen count to the water.

You can find them in Penguin filters and are manufactured by Marineland. Considered by many as very effiecient for low and mid-size tanks. They are pretty quiet.

Back
Top Bottom