new 29 (cycleing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
im putting on my 10 gallon biowheel on the emperor 280 im gonna put on it and then put all my gravel fmo my 10 into my 29. them im gonna get some more gravel to top it up. then im gonna recycle my 10 with some crushed coral and put some of those cichlids in my 10 gallon. i forgot what their called. they have neon lines on the edges of their fins and their like 4 inches. i might put a snail or 2 in there. theyll like the higher ph and harness. im also going to put the heater from my 10 to my 29 since its 10-30 gallon heater. move the heater up from my 5 gallon or get the same one and put it in my 10. its a 5-15.

Neolamprologus Brichardi yeah thats it, in my 10. im moving everything frmo my 10 to my 29. and getting some more :).

will i have to recycle the 29?? since its getting the gravel and biowheel fm the 10 will i have to recycle?

ic hmmm. it should work. but theres enough bacteria in there for the poplation of fish i have because its the same amount only in a wider area. in 2 weeks ill have 80$ and have enough to buy the tank with 15$ left. with that ill prolly buy a new heater for the 10 gallon. :)

and put some of those cichlids in my 10 gallon. i forgot what their called. they have neon lines on the edges of their fins and their like 4 inches
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you putting a 4" cichlid in a 10 gal tank? From my experience that's a tight fit.

will i have to recycle the 29??
it should go rather quickly if it does have to cycle. it all depends on the bio-load that it has to support. a much greater bio-load will cause a mini-cycle as the bacteria catch up with the amount of waste (ammonia) produced by the fish, etc.

hmm i need one more oppinion about the cichlids. because u 2 cancel eachouther out. endgame and deli. i need one more to tip the scale. so. yeah... i really want these fish but i guess i might have enough room for em.

I think it's a generally accepted practice that 1" of fish (sans tail) is good for 1 gal of water, as a rule of thumb. However, there are excpetions on the agressiveness of the fish...some like to 'swim' more and thus need even more room.

If I were to follow the 'rule of thumb', then two 4" fish in your 10 gal, would equal 8", 2" shy of the 10" equivelent (if you follow me :wink: )

I think after decorations and snails, your pushing it.

hmm

since their the pit making fish i was thinking about just having like 1-1.5 inches of sand then finding a small thingy of driftwood to make a cave and 1 snail. i think thatll be okay. because im sure their not like danios and need lotsa top space. so im sure itll be okay. and since the parents dont eat the eggs (so ive heard) i think theyll be okay since you dont gotta take the female or watever out.

Some fish need more than 1 gallon per inch. If it is a slim bodied peaceful fish, then sure, go for it. Some fish (oscars for example) need much more space. Most people I know will put one or maybe 2 oscars in a 55 gal tank. The reasons? Oscars are messy; having all that extra water helps to counter balance the waste they create. They also need lots of space; would you put a 10" fish in a 10 gal tank just because of the one inch per gallon rule?

As far as the bacteria is concerned...

Let's say you have 4 fish. They put off 4 fish's amount of waste. Your biofilter eventually grows to the point where it can handle the ammonia output of the 4 fish in your tank. Now you move on to the larger tank. Let's say you succesfully move all your old decorations, substrate, and filter medium over without killing any bacteria whatsoever. It will still only support the original 4 fish. Assuming that you fill your new tank (you would be adding about 15 gallons or so) your ammonia levels are going to dilute a bit and possibly kill off some bacteria as the ammonia supply is thinned out. Now you add more fish. They in turn add more ammonia. The existing bacteria cannot eat this ammonia fast enough and now you see levels of it showing up on your ammonia test. This will happen until the bacteria reproduce to handle the influx of ammonia. The same happens with nitrItes as well. It's almost like you are cycling again, but doesn't take nearly as long as the bacteria already exist and will reproduce fairly rapidly. A mini cycle...

oh thats a mini cycle 8P. so i guess ill wait like a month and just cycle my tank.

the most amazing thing happened yesterday. my sis beought home the 29 gallon. 70.00$ with the hood. i woulda gotten the 55 gallon frmo petco and it came with everything but i wanted a emperor or penguin and it came with a tetra whisper. and etc etc. i bought a emperor 280 and its coming. ill probally start my cycle for my 29 as soon as that comes

Back
Top Bottom