New 29 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the past it didn't seem to matter how long they sat after the color developed, it never really changed one way or the other.

How long does your kit say to wait? The test kits are calibrated so that the most accurate reading is at a certain time...they can continue to change but the other colors are irrelevant. If you're supposed to read it at 10 minutes (I think that's when you got the 0 reading?) then you're done. Either way it sounds like you're close. :)

The kit says 5 minutes :cry:

I know that after waiting so the tank is done right I should not rush it at the end, but I want fish!

This morning's test says that nitrite is ever so slightly above .25 ppm.

Here is my question:

I have been dosing twice a day for the past 3 days just to keep the ammonia from falling to zero. That should in turn be creating ever increasing levels of nitrite.

Should I cut back on the ammonia dosing?

How long can the bacteria go without ammonia to feed on before suffering starvation?

I would just keep doing what you are doing. I am guessing you are only a day or two away from being done. If you get that same .25 reading in two days take a sample of water to the LFS and have them run the test. Your test kit could be slightly off.

I went to my favorite lfs looking for fish and to see what they have that I might like. I tested my nitrite before going and I also took a sample to the store as rich suggested. Both my test and the store's test said zero nitrite this time. The guy at the store asked me if I was having trouble with my fish because I was getting the water tested. When I told him that I had no fish he thought I was an idiot (I could see it in his eyes). I went on to explain the fishless cycle concept and he couldn't believe it. He went and got his boss and had me repeat it. Half hour conversation later and pointing them to some articles about the subject, he said they are going to set up a tank and try it in the store. 8)

I will dose one more time with ammonia today and if all is good in the morning, It's fish buying I will go!

An interesting note, Not one anglefish to be had in the store. I was told that they can not keep them in the tanks! This is a really nice store and big too, fresh and lots of salt water tanks. They have the most beautiful planted tank with what I think they said were golden koi anglefish? I want these!! More research to come.

JeffreyL, I think I found what to do with the babies if I ever get to that point. Since they can't keep them in stock, we may just have to work a deal!

cool setup.. i like your rocks alot..

i just recently set up my 29 gallon tank and you gave me some ideas...

congrats on the new tank too.

Thank you very much! I will confess that I stole some of my ideas from pictures I saw on this site. :oops:

Tomorrow will be fish day so I'll post pics of the latest additions then.

FISH!

Ok, I went to my lfs this morning. I decided to go with a couple tetras since they did not have much to choose from for angels. I brought home 6 Serpae tetras and 6 cardinal tetras. I had never seen a serpae before and I like their red color. The store is supposed to have a shipment of angels later this week so I will go back then and see what I can find.

The tank still needs something on the back to hide the wall. I just found a thread (Sorry don't remember the author) where the back of the tank was painted with "rock paint". Man, I wish I would have found that a couple of weeks ago :( I'll come up with something.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

So I still plan on getting 4 angels knowing that I will not be able to keep them in this tank when full grown. I will just have to take one for the team and get another tank :wink: I'm thinking 2 clown loaches and a couple of snails.

Any suggestions?

Nice looking tank. A sheet of black poster board makes a great back ground.

Clown loaches will get too large you may want to consider one of the smaller varieties or cory cats.

Lonewolfblue is the member with the stone paint. He did do a fabulous job with it.

Yes it was Lonewolfblue. What a great idea! I only wish I had seen it before.

Black poster board it is. I got foam board, it was bit more rigid and was able to cut it just right so it fits between the upper and lower trim tightly. I taped it in place although it didn't need it at the moment.

Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom