New 29 gal bowfront semi planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I have a new tank I've set up on Jan 5 so it is as cycled as I can get it I have kinda hi lvl's of nitrite and my nitrates are around .25 I'm doing pwc's every cupple days to try and balance them out but my water out of the tap isn't the greatest :(. On my tank I have 2 merineland penguin 150 filters and a merineland doubble bright led night and day light. As for my plants I have 2 firms and another plant ( don't know the name) and as for fish I have 2 fancy angels, a male sword tail , 2 milord and 2 black phantom tetras. I'm just curious what u all think and any advice u can give given my tank's situation alst was wondering on one or two more fish to put in it????thanks in advance. I'll post a pic of the tank soon

I think you've got nitrates and nitrites switched around. The test kits I've seen don't measure down to 0.25ppm nitrate. If you do indeed have high nitrites and no nitrates, you're not finished cycling yet.

How do you like that light fixture? I considered it, but I wasn't sure it would put out enough light for my plants.

What is a milord? I tried looking it up, but found nothing.

I wouldn't add any fish until you're finished cycling. Once that's done, you have some room, especially for bottom dwellers. Cories and khuli loaches are my suggestions.

lol sorry i meant mollies lol was on my cell and didn't notice lol here is a picture of my api test results

Attachments

• IMG00301-20110209-2004.jpg
    IMG00301-20110209-2004.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG00302-20110209-2004.jpg
    IMG00302-20110209-2004.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 109
as well i thought i'd post a few pic's so u can all see what we are talking about lol i like the look what do you think????

Attachments

• IMG00309-20110209-2017.jpg
    IMG00309-20110209-2017.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG00310-20110209-2017.jpg
    IMG00310-20110209-2017.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 119
I really like the picture of the test results. Well done! Very informative without a lot of words. Nice tank also.

You've definitely got water quality problems. Do a 50%-70% PWC as soon as possible to get your nitrite and nitrate down. You're really close to finishing the cycle, but I'd bet the high nitrites have stalled it a bit. I've had the nitrites disappear quickly after a big PWC to get the cycle moving again.

Did you also post this under General discussion? Answered you there but I'll repost it here. BigJim is giving you good advice. Your tank is not "cycled" until your ammonia and nitrIte levels are 0ppm. If you still are getting a NitrIte reading, then your tank is still cycling. From your picture, looks like you have some ammonia as well. Any amount of ammonia/nitrites over .25ppm can harm your fish, so you should be doing PWCs more often than every "couple of days". Many times with a cycling tank, daily PWCs or even 2x daily PWCs are necessary to keep your water parameters safe for your fish. I second BigJim's suggestion to do any immediate water change of at least 50%.

How big is your tank? That will help us advise you further on stocking. Black phantom tetras are schooling fish and are more comfortable in numbers. They really should be kept in groups of 4+ (minimum) to alleviate stress. I would however advise you not to add any more fish to your tank until it has finished the course of cycling.

Thanks I am doing pwc's but can't do them every day wish I could as well my tank is A 29 gal bow front tank

I have a question fou u guys about my black phantom tetras do u think they will fin nip my angels??? Also I'm not sure if he came like this but one of my angels looks like there's ither a battle scar or some damage to the back of his body just befor his tail fin I'm trying to get a clear pic

I've read that they can, but it's reduced when you keep them in groups (5-6). Hope that helps some!

Here are the pic's of my angel there as clear as possible u can see it near the start of the tail just after the black spot also I have now 3 black phantom tetras and added 2 rummy Nose tetras I know they like larger numbers but I think I'm at my limits pretty much I was entertaining the idea of returning my 3 black phantom tetras for 3 rummynose what do u think???

Attachments

• image-2364294733.jpg
    image-2364294733.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1414578664.jpg
    image-1414578664.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image-915421349.jpg
    image-915421349.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 92
It's hard to tell, but it looks like fungus. I wouldn't be surprised considering the water parameters. Look into Melafix and Pimafix.

Back
Top Bottom