New 29 gallon help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, bristlenose plecos and rubber lip plecos are usually 4-5 inches with the biggest ones being 6", so I think that a 29 gallon is big enough for one, just again, make sure that you don't get the common or any other type of pleco, as they do grow over a foot long

IME Since the tank is only about 30"L x 12" W
I still say that's small for a fish that can grow 6".
A Pitbull Pleco or Otos would be a better choice for a sucker mouth Catfish. But not my tank, not my choice. JMHO

I still say the 29 is not I deal for even smaller plecos. But, as the poster before me said, it's your tank. I personally would rather have 6 cories than 1 pleco. Check out panda cories. If you can resist them, then my assumption of your taste in fish is way off base.

As said above 29 gallon is really to small for even the smaller plecos. Not enough room and the bioload with plecos is huge. I have a 6 maybe 7 inch green phantom in my 6 foot 125 gallon and he makes a huge mess for even that size tank. I couldn't imagine cleaning up after one in a 29 gallon tank.

Oh okay thanks for all the advice guys. :) yea, ill just end up getting 6 cories. So I think my final stocking is:

6 Neon Tetra
6 Cory's
6 Zebra Danios
6 Ghost or Cherry Shrimp

Any advice as to which fish to add first? And also, any other suggestions to the stocking or putting something extra in? Thanks.

I'd probably go danios first because that are hardier, and you want to make sure everything is cool with the tank. Neons are tricky sometimes, depending on how healthy the stock is. Adding the danios first will allow you to build up more of a bacteria colony and bring more stability to the tank.

Also, I would go with ghost shrimp before any other shrimp. They are cheap and will allow you to make sure those danios are shrimp friendly.

Alright thanks for all the help guys. I just bought 5 zebra danios and have been in the tank for a few hours. I know there will be an ammonia spike, how long and how much and how many water changes should I do? I tested the water before I added and it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates but did a water change too.

You should do a water change every time you see the ammonia and/or nitrites go up. This could mean every day or every other day depending on how well your bacteria colony established. But this is just in the beginning. Once that colony is solid, your ammonia readings will stay at zero. When they stay at zero for a week straight, you can add more fish. I would only add 2 or 3 at a time every week or so, just to give the bacteria colony a chance to catch up. Add the shrimp last.

You should do a water change every time you see the ammonia and/or nitrites go up. This could mean every day or every other day depending on how well your bacteria colony established. But this is just in the beginning. Once that colony is solid, your ammonia readings will stay at zero. When they stay at zero for a week straight, you can add more fish. I would only add 2 or 3 at a time every week or so, just to give the bacteria colony a chance to catch up. Add the shrimp last.

Just wanted to add there MAY be days multiple water changes are necessary. That was the case with my 10g, but it was also a smaller tank, so hopefully this doesn't happen to you since you have a larger tank.

Alright thanks for all the help guys. I just bought 5 zebra danios and have been in the tank for a few hours. I know there will be an ammonia spike, how long and how much and how many water changes should I do? I tested the water before I added and it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates but did a water change too.

since its a 29 gallon tank it could be a day or so before you see a spike..it did in mine and i had 7 danios when i started

How often a day should I test the water? Or should I just test once a day? All the Zebras look really healthy though, moving around like crazy. Do they school regularly? Because at first they schooled, but now they just all chase each other seperately.

You should test everyday till ur cycle... And they do chase eachother there just getting use to the tank mine are 3weeks old they school and chase hope that helps

Once a day. After a water change, you really should let the tank circulate for 24 hours to get true readings.

How often a day should I test the water? Or should I just test once a day? All the Zebras look really healthy though, moving around like crazy. Do they school regularly? Because at first they schooled, but now they just all chase each other seperately.

If they are zebra danios that's just their nature, nothing to worry about!

I started with 2 zebra danios once my tank finished cycling now we have 5, 3 albino corys, had 4 but the littlest one didn't make it, 25+/- ghost shrimp & a rainbow shark in my 30, but the shark will be getting a 60 in the next month. My albinos are my absolute favorite. I love the danios spunk. They are little piglets. Danios are good fish to start with & they are fun. When it was just the danios I tested daily & water changes everyday 50-70%. Now I test & change 30-40% weekly as all I get now is nitrate. Thinking about getting a low light & low maintenance plant to eat up some nitrates but not sure what.

Back
Top Bottom