New 29 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrackberry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I decided to join this forum so that I had somewhere to get tips/advice/insight on a new 29gal setup a started a few weeks ago.

It's an Aqueon Led Tank, 30.25" x 12.5" x 21.5" that I decided to get after my girlfriend bought me a Betta for my Birthday. She remembered me telling her about how I loved having fish as a kid, very thoughtful gift.

But, I knew that the Betta deserved better than the 1.5 Gal tank she bought with him, so I got the Aqueon kit and added more fish.

Here's the roster:

1 Male Betta (Half Moon I think)
5 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Accidental Zebra Danilo (came with the Rasboras)
3 Glo Tetras
2 Peppermint Tetras
3 Platys (Red Fin, Gold Twinbar, Sunset)
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Emerald Cory Catfish

The lady at Petco was very concerned that the male betta would "kill" all the other fish (lol), it's actually been kind of the opposite. Recently one of the Glo Tetras began nipping at the fins of the Betta (Poor Guy), I did notice a couple days later that the Betta started sticking up for himself and flaring at the Glo Tetra, but unfortunately some damage was already done. I do have a Coco Log plant that serves as a nice refuge for the Betta to hide when he wants to relax I guess.

I had tried 3 Dalmatian Mollys but had to take them back because one of them began nipping at the Betta, and that fish was much bigger than the Glo Tetra.

So I've heard that Aquarium Salt could be helpful for the Betta's fins, how true is this?

Another notable, the Rainbow Shark will chase away the Cory whenever they get close. Because of this, I'm thinking maybe getting another Cory would help even the odds and deter the Rainbow Shark from bullying? I've intrigued by the Clown Cory Catfish, I think they look pretty cool. Thoughts on this?

Other than the above mentioned things, all the fish get along pretty well.

Any other suggestions for fish I could add. I believe I have room for up to maybe 3 more tops.

Theme for the tank is Game of Thrones

Thanks a lot in advance for any feedback.

4bCzk84.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome:

Looks like a nice start. I've just a couple of suggestions:

Some tetras will look at the betta's fins as a tasty snack. They might come to an understanding, but I think you're more likely looking at a lot of stress and possible fin infection for the betta. I'd would choose between the glowfish and the betta and re-home the one I liked least.

I'd also seriously consider re-homing the rainbow shark. They can get up to 6" and are considered somewhat aggressive. I'd expect him to pick on your other fish as he grows.

As for the others, the rasboras are a nice choice - I might consider a few more. Catfish also like to be in groups of five or more, but, if that's an emerald brochis, a group would be a bit big for that tank. I might consider 3-4 peppermint tetras, too. Again, they like to be in schools of 5+.

Thanks for the quick reply. My thinking (probably foolish) was that the Glo Tetras would naturally click with the Peppermint Tetras to create a school, but I guess this hasn't been the case.

I've thought about maybe buying a smaller 5gal or so tank for the Betta, so that I would then be able to get some guppies for the main tank. I'm kind of waiting to see how things play out before making such a move though.

Also, I meant Clown Loach, not Clown Cory in my original post.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the Rainbow Shark. As of now he's very calm other than when he gets close to the Cory.

Any other cool species of fish you think would be a nice addition for variety?

Oh yeah, I also read somewhere that perhaps adding a couple more glo tetras would make the other 3 happy and reduce the likelihood of nipping. Any truth to this? Just to clarify, only one of the Glo Tetras has been nipping. Ironically enough, my girl and I decided he was the Jamie Lannister of the tank lol

That is a lot going on! :)

The Betta may end up needing a more quiet tank that is a lot of activity and as they get mature sometimes they can go crazy on the other fish.

The stocking seems alright except the Betta more than likely and the Rainbow shark.

The Rainbow shark will end up needing a much larger tank when getting nearer adulthood. 55-75G would be the recommended tank size (I am sure he is young/ smallish now if you just got him)

They are fish who love to swim and patrol their area which is the lower 1/2 but usually mostly 1/3 of tank. They like to have places to hide under and swim around.

They like to have the perimeter of the tank near the glass to cruise and interesting spaces around the tank, I call them figure 8 race tracks on the bottom and around the 1/3 level. So they realy do "rule" the bottom of the tank.

If they have fish around "their" space they wil chase and bump them out of their way. This stresses most fish.

By the name Clown Cory are you meaning Panda or Masked Cories, or are you meaning Clown Loach?

If it were my tank, thinking long term, it would be best to return the Rainbow shark and get other fun fish for the lower portion of the tank, like a group of Cories and maybe even something else like some Kuhli Loaches instead.

There are a fun Kind of Cories called Dwarf Cories and the most commonly seen around are Pygmy Cories (Pygmaeus), Hastatus and Habrosus. they are smaller and you can get many more - say 2x as many, say ~6 instead of 3 regular sized bioload wise!

The Clown Loach get to be huge and need a minimum 75-125G and like to live in groups, they are very large fish when full grown - with being properly fed and kept in a large sized tank.

If you put your hands together thumb to thumb and forefinger to forefinger and make a triangle that is about the size of the fish when adults!!! Then you should have around 5 or more of those awesome big guys!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely beginning to see that I'll need to give up the Rainbow Shark. So I'll likely do that in the next week. Just today I added 2 Julii Corys, hopefully they'll get acquainted with the emerald cory. I also bought another Coco Log so that the Betta has another place to hide/relax when he wants. Finally, I bought some aquarium salt and put a little of that in the tank to hopefully ease any stress. See attachment for updated picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_2135056.jpg
    IMG_20170701_2135056.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the quick reply. My thinking (probably foolish) was that the Glo Tetras would naturally click with the Peppermint Tetras to create a school, but I guess this hasn't been the case.

I've thought about maybe buying a smaller 5gal or so tank for the Betta, so that I would then be able to get some guppies for the main tank. I'm kind of waiting to see how things play out before making such a move though.

Also, I meant Clown Loach, not Clown Cory in my original post.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the Rainbow Shark. As of now he's very calm other than when he gets close to the Cory.

Any other cool species of fish you think would be a nice addition for variety?

Research before you buy. Clown Loaches get big. And like groups.

Glo Tetras are White Skirt Tetras. They are known for being nippy.

Candy Cane Tetras are more peaceful from what I'm reading. I like large groups of small fish. If it was my tank, I'd have a big group of Harlequin Rasboras. 10-12.

Rainbow Sharks need a 55g with a hideout at one end that they can guard and be jerks.

I would not add salt. If you want the Betta to heal? Get him his own tank or get rid of the nippy fish.

White skirts in larger groups, may redirect aggression within the group or not.

Thanks for the feedback. The nipping seems to have ceased ever since the Betta flared back at the Tetra culprit, but I'm definitely open to getting him his own tank if it gets worse before better. Today he was pretty active and back to his usual self swimming around the mid to top quarter of the tank when he wasn't in the log. And yeah. Rainbow Shark is going back this week. And yep, Clown Loach has been ruled out lol. Also, thanks for the info on the Glo Tetras, very interesting. And also yes, the candy cane Tetras are very tranquil. My initial thought was that they would flock around with the Glo Tetras (I got the Glo Tetras later) since they have similar body type, but this hasn't happened (probably foolish of me to believe the aquatic store employee on this). I think if the nipping starts back up I'd look into taking back the Glo Tetras, and adding more Candy Cane Tetras, more Rasboras, and maybe some Neon Tetras.

I really appreciate your insights Coursair

Trying to catch a Rainbow Shark in a aquarium with decorations to put in an Iso Tank is as hard as it sounds lol. Tried for 30 minutes. Going to just take out some decorations, do my water change, and gravel clean and then try age. Excited to try out this Fluval Aqua Vac / Water Changed that I just bought yesterday.

Try catching two in a 75, every decoration or plant was moved. Took me and wife with two big nets. Lol (its funny now)

AQadvisor is a really good help to try different stoking and filters and see the differences. SO much more simple than buying and removing fish which will not work out. Glad you are checking it out. (Sometimes it is not exactly on target, the exception not the norm though.)

Sometimes too conservative, but usually a good thing for new fish keepers. Not to get too stocked and then over stocked. To make feeding issues and cause newly cycled media for the filter inadequate to deal with the amount of ammonia, etc. too many fish and feeding can make.

Thanks for the feedback. The nipping seems to have ceased ever since the Betta flared back at the Tetra culprit, but I'm definitely open to getting him his own tank if it gets worse before better. Today he was pretty active and back to his usual self swimming around the mid to top quarter of the tank when he wasn't in the log. And yeah. Rainbow Shark is going back this week. And yep, Clown Loach has been ruled out lol. Also, thanks for the info on the Glo Tetras, very interesting. And also yes, the candy cane Tetras are very tranquil. My initial thought was that they would flock around with the Glo Tetras (I got the Glo Tetras later) since they have similar body type, but this hasn't happened (probably foolish of me to believe the aquatic store employee on this). I think if the nipping starts back up I'd look into taking back the Glo Tetras, and adding more Candy Cane Tetras, more Rasboras, and maybe some Neon Tetras.

I really appreciate your insights Coursair

Sounds good.

Happy to help [emoji1360]

I want to add the plant in the left is not aquatic. It is Lucky Bamboo and is semi aquatic. It will rot underwater. If you have just the roots in water it will work.

Back
Top Bottom