New 29 Gallon Tank Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. Planning everything for my 29 gallon tank before purchasing anything and I have a few questions. I plan on an Aquaclear 70 filter, and my (hopeful) stocking plan is to have one or two centerpiece fish, one school of something, 3 Dalmatian Mollies because I think they look awesome, and some kind of bottom-dweller. After ridiculously extensive research, I've drafted this first idea for a stocking plan:

1 Angelfish
1 Honey Gourami
3 Lyre-tailed Dalmatian Mollies
6 Rummy-nose Tetras
4 Corydora Catfish

Will this work? I understand that it may be slightly overstocked, but with a strict maintenance schedule, I should be OK, right? I also understand that I would need a finer gravel or a sand substrate for the Cories, which I've heard can be a pain in terms of maintenance?

I was also considering swapping out the Cory Cats for Amano Shrimp if I can find them. I don't expect to need/even want an algae eater, as my maintenance schedule should keep most, if not all algae in check. But being a first-time aquarium owner once I get this tank, I'm sure I will have the tendency to overfeed and would like some sort of bottom feeder that can pick up the scraps. What would you recommend?

All of these fish are based on the assumption that they will be available at my lfs. Once I graduate college in May I will be relocating and I will have to hope my new lfs will have the fish I want.

Thank you so much in advance, and any advice is greatly appreciated!

I like your stocking plan! A few minor quibbles:

Corydoras prefer schools of 5, which should be fine for your stocking plan.

I wouldn't have shrimp with angelfish. They will probably become food.

For bottom dwellers my preference is loaches- a 29 gallon is big enough for zebra loaches and kuhli loaches which is what I would recommend. Zebra loaches get somewhat large so you'd have to change up your stocking plan, but kuhli loaches and corydoras are fairly interchangeable. But corydoras would also do very nicely! Just make sure that you get a sinking pellet food for them, because bottom dwellers do need food of their own aside from "scraps".

For me I actually think sand is easier than gravel to maintain because all the waste just sits on top. Just carefully siphon it off. Use an inch or so layer and you shouldn't have any issues.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle or "cycling" a fish tank?

I am familiar with the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a new tank, yes.

Will loaches clean up the scraps that sink to the bottom? I haven't researched them at all, really.

Also, I know the "one pound of gravel per gallon recommendation". Is that the same with sand? I do plan to plant this tank. Thanks a lot.

I am familiar with the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a new tank, yes.

Will loaches clean up the scraps that sink to the bottom? I haven't researched them at all, really.

Also, I know the "one pound of gravel per gallon recommendation". Is that the same with sand? I do plan to plant this tank. Thanks a lot.

Ok excellent! Lots of people run into trouble starting their tank without knowing how to cycle, you're ahead of the game (y)

Loaches will eat scraps, yes.... loaches will eat ANYTHING :lol: The only sign of any food left in my 55 gallon loach tank is dozens of empty snail shells littered across the front. (My loach tank is a lot like your stocking plan- an angelfish, some platys, some corydoras, just a lot of loaches). Botia loaches (like zebra loaches) will eat scraps as well as pest snails so that's good for planted tanks. Kuhli loaches will also eat scraps but won't do anything about snails.

With sand you can get it so cheaply in bulk that you don't have to worry about pounds, just check the depth when you add it to the tank. You can use pool filter sand or play sand. Both come in 50lb packages; the former is around $20 while the later is around $5 for 50 lbs. Play sand is much finer and can almost be like mud, while pool filter sand is a bit courser.

Will there be any issues with loaches nipping at the fins of the angel? And if I do decide on loaches, how many and what species would you recommendand why, to replace the cories? Thanks :)

It can happen, but I have never had issues with fin nipping botia loaches. Mainly it happens when you keep them by themselves or in too small groups. And in the case of kuhli loaches, never.

If you just want to swap corydoras without changing anything else in your stocking, just do maybe 6 or 7 kuhli loaches. They're very fun, very colorful, and look kinda like tiny little eels! Plus, they will dig around in the sand which will keep it oxygenated for plants and prevent any dead zones. Kinda like earthworms!

A couple other things I have questions on/am considering:

1) I'm open to any suggestions for other types of schooling fish. My original plan was a school of Neon Tetras, but I know they will probably just end up lunch for the Angelfish. I like the look of the Rummy-nose Tetras, but am unsure of the availability. What other suggestions do people have for interesting schooling fish for my tank?

2) I am also considering swapping out two of the Dalmatian Mollies for one or two other fish, but am blanking on ideas. I only wanted three to begin with because I thought it would be an interesting challenge to breed them and sell the fry back to the lfs. Any ideas for fish to swap out with 2 of the Mollies? Or should I stick with my idea of 3?

3) How should I lay out plants/decorations for my tank? I don't know what is considered a good layout or too many/too few plants. For my stocking plan, what is needed for decorations? Do I want like, one or two centerpiece decorations and a couple others, with plants scattered around? Do I need special hiding places/tunnels for any of my fish? Any recommendations for live plants for my stocking plan?

Thanks!

How destructive would a Bristlenose Pleco be on the live plants I want in this tank? I'm considering this stocking plan alternative with a sand substrate:

1 Angelfish
1 Dwarf/Honey Gourami (Suggestions/Preferences??)
1 Lyre-Tailed Dalmatian Molly
6 (?) Kuhli Loaches
6 Cardinal Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco

The idea is to have a mid-top school and a bottom school, as well as a few centerpiece fish and an algae eater. I'm open to suggestions/tweaks to this stocking plan. Thanks! :)

I think theres no point of getting one Molly. The Molly will be lonely. I perfer Honey Gourami because they live longer compared to the Dwarf.

Back
Top Bottom