New 29g FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first time starting a tank. Its a 29g Fw tank. Im doing a fish in cycle and I have the API master test kit and everything I hopefully need to keep on top of things.

Just got home with my new community.
1 Aussie Rainbow
1 BA tetra
1 red wag platy
1 micky mouse platy
and 1 creamsicle molly

Attachments

• fishtank640.jpg
    fishtank640.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 54
So not enough research on my part. Looking for advice though.

I mistaking did not realize the Australian Rainbow fish likes company and that the Buenos Aires tetra was such an aggressive little fish. I do like the rainbow fish how ever so should I maybe return the Tetra and get two more rainbows? Would 3 be enough for company and is that still ok size wise? I know these guys can get up to 8" long.

Most tetras need to be in a group of 4 bare bones minimum, with five or more of the same species being much better. Buenos aires tetras are known to be more nippy and with only one, that may make it even more agressive.

For a fish in, I'd have no more than 3 smallish, or mabye 4 if tetras to help give them a little school, in a 29 gal, but others may disagree.

I'm guessing a local chain store sold you this combination? I'd see if I could rehome the tetra for sure. I don't know much about Rainbows, but you already know it wants company, so rehoming it would be best, also. Adding even more fish at this point would not be a good idea. The mollies and platies would be more than enough to start with.

Good luck with it. I have a 29 gallon tank too, and im fishless cycling before I get my first group of tetras. I'm sure you are reading all you can about fish in cycling and will stay on top of the frequent water changes. That's essential to success and the health of your fish.

ok so I have decided that as much as I like rainbows they are not for this tank. Future project might just have to be a 75g-ish rainbow tank! So Australian rainbow and Buenos Aires tetra are going back.

So tank will stay as is for a month or so with just the molly and platies.

So now the research will begin! Looking for stocking ideas.

3 or 4 total platies
2 or 3 mollies
6 or so Cardinal Tetra's
And then 2 Center Pieces? Would Dward Gourami's work or to aggressive? Still researching that part.

DG's could work, but personally I'd look for a bottom feeder like a bristlenose pleco or some cories to help with pick-up

ok so I have decided that as much as I like rainbows they are not for this tank. Future project might just have to be a 75g-ish rainbow tank! So Australian rainbow and Buenos Aires tetra are going back.

So tank will stay as is for a month or so with just the molly and platies.

So now the research will begin! Looking for stocking ideas.

3 or 4 total platies
2 or 3 mollies
6 or so Cardinal Tetra's
And then 2 Center Pieces? Would Dward Gourami's work or to aggressive? Still researching that part.

Try
1m 2fm platies
1m 2fm mollies
(I prefer swordtails over both but they all work:))
6 neons or cardinals
5-6 Cory catfish

That's sounds like to much to add to to me but maybe for a centerpeice just a single ram or gourami? Maybe take out the mollies or platies for the centerpeice?

As you can probably guess I'm a tetra and cory person. I think 6 cardinals would be great! Best wishes on whatever you decide,

Tank has been running for 6 days, the above 5 fish have been in for 3 days. 15% PWC for the last 3 days and first test shows PH is at 7.6, Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate all at 0. Is this to be expected? Everything is looking good (at least I think). Tetra and Rainbow will go back tomorrow. Im out of town Thursday through Sunday so hopefully no spikes for the other guys!

Back
Top Bottom