New 29G tank ready for fish...Input welcomed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobStapp1985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

So the waiting is over and I have finally gotten my tank ready for fish. Going into this I had a vision of what I wanted in my tank but as I am just a newbie I figured I would reach out and ask more seasoned vets for their opinions.

The following is what I would like to have. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

7- Zebra Danios
4- Black Phantom Tetras
4- Black Neon Tetras
1- Kuhli loach
1- Regular Pleco
1- Hillstream Loach
6- Ghost Shrimp
3- Bamboo Shrimp
2- African Dwarf Frogs

What is the temp of your tank? and what are your water params? trinidad pleco (common) need 125g+, hillstream loach also aren't suitable for that tank size, I would up the black neons, and phantoms to atleast 6+. also kuhli loaches are social creatures, and really don't belong in a group of less than 6, although 8 is more ideal. I wouldn't do the ADFs, as they will most likey get outcompeted for food.

My pH is 6.0 and water temp is 78...I can lose the frogs and loaches as you are right they are better in a group...could I do a smaller pleco perhaps like a clown or would you do mossballs? This is really for my little girls so some of these fish like the frogs and loaches were just cool looking...i was kind of trying to get that bottom middle and top covered.

By water params I actually meant ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. yea it's a good idea not to do the frogs, and hillstream loach, but you could still do the kuhli's if you get a group of them... yes, you could do a smaller pleco, how about bristlenose, or like you mentioned a clown pleco should be fine as well.
if you decide on not doing the kuhli loaches either, how about a pair of bolivian rams in their stead?

Black Phantoms and Black Neons like to be in schools of 6 or more, so I might choose one or the other (I'd go with BPs) and combine the two schools.

Kuhlis definitely need company. They're not happy in groups of less than five.

It's yours, and your daughters choice, but I'd just go with a larger school of black neons, instead of doing 6 of them, and 6 of the black phantoms.
this will make them feel more comfortable (safety in numbers type thing), and not shy, also make a very visual effect on anyone looking on....

Don't get a moss ball. I have one in one of my tanks and its an eyesore imo. If its a 29 tall you could try angel(s) but you would have to ditch some of the smaller guys.

Also if you can afford it try looking into beter lighting and get some real plants.Set up right they look really nice and make the tank appear more natural. Be wary of plants that come with snails or bba(always ask before you buy).

Hello all!

So the waiting is over and I have finally gotten my tank ready for fish. Going into this I had a vision of what I wanted in my tank but as I am just a newbie I figured I would reach out and ask more seasoned vets for their opinions.

The following is what I would like to have. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

7- Zebra Danios

4- Black Phantom Tetras

4- Black Neon Tetras

1- Kuhli loach

1- Regular Pleco

1- Hillstream Loach

6- Ghost Shrimp

3- Bamboo Shrimp

2- African Dwarf Frogs

I would pick your favorite of zebra danios, black phantoms, or black neons and do a large group of that.

You could do a group of kuhli loaches, but they will hide a lot if they aren't kept in a large group (eight or more). Another option for the bottom is cories. There are several species to choose from.

If you want some color you could pick Platies, or guppies. If you don't want fry it would be best to get only males.

I would recommend leaving out the shrimp and frogs, but if you really want them, you could probably get away with ghost shrimp.

For a centerpiece a pair of honey gouramis, Bolivian Rams, or a single kribensis would likely do well with those fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 to corries. That pleco will easily out grow your tank and I would get one of a smaller species.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom