New 3.3gal betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMightyOscen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I got a Superfish wave 15 tank a couple of days ago with the plan of setting up a properly planted betta tank. I ordered some tropica tissue culture plants, plant fertiliser substrate and some superfine gravel from an online shop - it arrived today so I set it all up but I am yet to get a heater.

Despite keeping fish from the age of seven, I'm still a bit of a rookie. I know the basics but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything correctly so today I decided to register :).

I bought an Interpet new aquarium kit that gives me water treatment and filter start to help kick start the cycle, it claims to have your tank up and running in a week (it also comes with a testing kit). I also have some Tetra plantamin to help my plants as I don't use or plan to use CO2. The plants I have are dwarf hairgrass, nymphoides sp taiwan and some java fern. I used 1cm of plant fertiliser substrate and 3cm of superfine gravel (as that was was reccomended on the plant substrate packet). I will put a pic down below.

Before I think about getting a betta, I was considering a few cherry shrimp as I heard they get along and I need something to control the algae that will inevitably start growing. Is this a wise idea?

1507963_195728590634858_1803341060_n.jpg

The water has now gone a semi-cloudy brown. The light has been on for the last 48 hours and the filter has been running constantly. Also, does any one know of a great filter for this kind of tank? As this one is really loud and doesn't seem to be moving the water much at all (I am using the filter that came with the tank).

Welcome. In order to cycle the tank properly you need to supply an ammonia source; pure ammonia, fish food, raw shrimp, a fish; otherwise the BB will not build up. I personally am a fan of sponge filters for Betta tanks that are 10g or less. I wouldn't add any tank mates in a 3.3g tank. Most Algae can be controlled by the amount of time the lights are each day.

Any particular brands that you would recommend? Oh and which would be easiest source of ammonia...from that list I would guess the liquid ammonia but I would like to be sure :).

Get an over size sponge filter and you will never have a problem.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390044342.628460.jpg
My nymphoides taiwan is starting to grow already! I'm not so sure about the dwarf hairgrass though. Again, can any one recommend a particular type of sponge filter?

Back
Top Bottom