New 30 Gallon, Substrate/Plant Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Before I put fish in, I know I obviously need to cycle my new tank. I'm really excited to get this thing all cleaned up (I bought it used). I need to buy a replacement bulb.. Probably a 24" by the looks of it? Not sure.

Anyways, I was wanting to know any suggestions for good substrate, I like the smaller, more fine looking substrate. I was looking into ecocomplete, but I wondered if sand would be better.

Also, I want to really make a nice looking, lush, green 30gal and I need good plant ideas as well. Any suggestions on wattage and all that is appreciated too.

Thanks for all advice and all suggestions in advance!:D

sand is good. the only thing about it is, they don't have nutrients so if you planned it to be planted, root tabs is your answer...

okay I have to get that link that talks about the wattage per gallon rule and how you will determine your plants...be right back..

No, no, no! Thank you. You're always around available to help me out some way shape or form. I think I'm off to bed now. I may be going on a fish store shopping extravaganza tomorrow from the way it looks! Haha

No, no, no! Thank you. You're always around available to help me out some way shape or form. I think I'm off to bed now. I may be going on a fish store shopping extravaganza tomorrow from the way it looks! Haha

You are welcome, glad I could help. And I am off to bed too.

Yayy...shopping....keep us posted with pictures as well....please! Hehehe!

I'm so excited! I got my substrate and a new light and some plants for my new tank!

I ended up getting Fluorite Black, and also got some sand to place on top of that. I hope it ends up working well!

I think that will work splendidly! And black really makes plants and fish "POP"!

I agree so much! Black is my favorite color haha. I'm weird. I'm so excited to get this thing up and running

Corbo said:
I agree so much! Black is my favorite color haha. I'm weird. I'm so excited to get this thing up and running

I'm jealous...just moved yesterday! Haven't been able to set up yet :-/

I'm on to the boring part now.. Fishless cycling. Yuck. Haha. Oh well, it's for the best. I just don't know which fish I want to put in this tank... I thought possibly some angels.. definitely some Cardinal Tetras... some cories... or maybe gouramis instead of angels... i don't know. I hate the new tank feeling because there's so much you want. I could spend my life savings on this hobby.

Cardinal Tetras are just.. Amazing. They're like Neons on roids.. and that's saying something, because I think neons are an awesome little fish.

Any time I see them, they're sooo eye catching. It's crazy. And with the black substrate I got I'm sure they'll pop even more.

Back
Top Bottom