New 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What would b good in a 30 gallon tank?

• 7-9 tiger barbs with some green tiger barbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3 zebra loaches

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 2 kissing gourami

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Landonwyeley16

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am new to this website and am about to start cycling my 36 gallon tank. This is my first tank and I am feeling good about it. I have had some problems as to what fish I am going to be putting in the tank once it is done this is my
first idea:
7-9 tiger barbs with some mix of green tiger barbs
2-3 zebra loaches
2 kissing gourami
Second idea:
7-9 black widow tetra with some mix of black phantom tetra
3 angle fish
1 pleco
The first one I am afraid is more risky while the second one I think based on a lot of research is a bit more safe
Any information or suggestion is happily taken so pleas fill free

Hi I am new to this website and am about to start cycling my 36 gallon tank. This is my first tank and I am feeling good about it. I have had some problems as to what fish I am going to be putting in the tank once it is done this is my
first idea:
7-9 tiger barbs with some mix of green tiger barbs
2-3 zebra loaches
2 kissing gourami
Second idea:
7-9 black widow tetra with some mix of black phantom tetra
3 angle fish
1 pleco
The first one I am afraid is more risky while the second one I think based on a lot of research is a bit more safe
Any information or suggestion is happily taken so pleas fill free

Hi, welcome to the hobby, it's a great one for sure. Alright, about your stocking plans, tigers are little demons, there know to harass anything that moves so unless its a species tank then I would avoid. Kissing Groumis are also out I'm afarid , they can get over a foot I believe. Avoid common plecos, they get huge an have high bioloads. Go with 1 angel also, there aggressive an will likely pair an murder the odd angel an chase everything to one corner of the tank when they breed. They can also grow to be a foot across. Beware those tetras with angel, there know to nip .

Sorry if this is all bad new haha just trying to help

Thank u so much. what would u suggest? I want to have some thing along the lines of what I mentioned b 4 I sill need to cycle my tank but I want to know what I want b 4 I get it if that makes sense.
The reason I chose the zebra loach was because it was one of the smaller breads of loaches only getting 4in
I agree about the gourami the only reason I mentioned them was because of my girlfriend liked them
I read a lot about tiger barbs and if they are as bad as u say they r then do u know if any other fish that might b a little less aggressive
I honestly have done a LOT of research but I guess I had the wrong idea

Last edited:
Thank u so much. what would u suggest? I want to have some thing along the lines of what I mentioned b 4 I sill need to cycle my tank but I want to know what I want b 4 I get it if that makes sense.
The reason I chose the zebra loach was because it was one of the smaller breads of loaches only getting 4in
I agree about the gourami the only reason I mentioned them was because of my girlfriend liked them
I read a lot about tiger barbs and if they are as bad as u say they r then do u know if any other fish that might b a little less aggressive
I honestly have done a LOT of research but I guess I had the wrong idea

Haha, it's not a problem. I would look at gold or 3 spot gouramis, then you could get a school of skirt tetras an zebra loaches. An yeah, tricky tricky research haha

Thank u that sounds predict I will do that with a little more research :) haha so I will get:
7-9 black skirt tetras
3 gold or three-spot gourami
3 zebra loaches
Cool it looks like a great tank I am glad I signed up for this or I would have made a terrible mistake can I ask I to give me another example of what u would do along the same lines but with different fish or maybe I should say substitutions just for emergencies I like to have a lot of options :) thank u

Sure, stick to 1 groumai for a center piece cause there aggressive an territorial to there on kind. You could also do
1x angel
6-8 flame tetras
4-5 Cory cats

Thank you for all your help and I will attempt what you said if you have any other suggestions for the tank in general pleas let me know I still have a phew weeks before my tank is done cycling :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AA! :welcome:
What cg said is right. Skip the common pleco and kissing gouramis. They get huge. The last stock he mentioned would go perfectly together. Dont get 2 angles either or the could pair like he said and possibly eat your tetras

What kind of Cory's should I get or does it matter because I was thinking panda Cory's and should I do Cory's or loaches and I don't know about the flame tetra could I get them and the black tetra and in your opinion would u do the angle fish which I herd are kinda hard to keep or one three-spot gourami

Back
Top Bottom