New 30 Gallon Tank ... Newbie w/ Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all id just like to introduce myself to the community and ask a couple questions .... i have been reading up on tanks and fish for the past month or so and finally got a 30 gallon tank and i have also read about 1000 posts on here about everything that should be done.

The 30 gallon i bought had been used and was kind of dirty when i picked it up from the seller and once i got everything removed i washed everything with hot water and rinsed out the tank a few times. It came with a Whisper 40 filter and cascade 300 internal filter and thermo wave 100watt heater that im not sure that works ... also came with a profile 1000 air pump i use on contecting to a bubble tube.

I have decided to scrap the Whisper 40 because i believe it is old and dirty and even though it works, i think i want something better. So through extensive research i have purchased a Emperor 280 with some Diamond Blend to throw in the extra media thingy. (plz tell me this was a good choice?) ... I also ordered a digital therm so i can tell if this heater works or not.

To dechlorinize the water i got something called stress coat or something (cant remember the name right now) ... also some heater holders to hold the heater since the used one didnt come with any and a net which i most def will need i think :).

Well today i decided on a gravel color and went to the lfs and got a 25lb of black ( yes i know its a lot more than i need but it was a lil more than buying 3 5lb bags ... which bothered me but o well).....

Ok so here is the deal im going home tomorrow for spring break from college where i have the tank now ... im gonna throw the gravel in (after cleaning it of course) and wash the tank out again to be sure and wash all the other stuff cause no telling what it had on it cause it was used ya know (any other suggestions as to what i should do let me know).

Well once my filter and stuff gets in sometime next week im going to put water in ... add the stress coat ... set up the filter and heater ..... and my big question .... THEN WHAT ?

Ive read many different things like a fishless cycle or fish cycle ... which is best? Should i get some flakes to through in there to get the process started or what

Ive read lots of good things about the Python too .... but is it worth the money for a 30 gal ?

Also i saw a 10 gal tank and cheap filter by tetra and heater for like 25 dollars today and i could throw some spare gravel in and have a quartine tank ...... good idea? ... getting ahead of myself?

any ideas / suggestions would be most welcome .... my main goal is to have some freshwater fish that are cool over the summer then when i go back next year for college to get some red belly pirahna

Thanks

Ray

For a 30 gal tank you will want to aim at 5 Watts per gal for a heater. If you have the money, get yourself a 150 Watt Heater. The Visi-Therm Stealth is an excellent choice (it's not glass so it's doesn't beak, has an auto-shutoff, and is easily hidden since it is black).

I've never used your declorinator before, but I highly recommend Prime. It is highly concentrated so it lasts a long time. It removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.

I would steralize everything in the tank with very hot water, especially since it is used.

Fishless cycles are the best way to start a tank. It takes less time, does not harm any fish, and you don't have to do the multiple water changes every week. I am a fan of the pure ammonia method. Some use a raw shrimp or decaying food, but it tends to smell. Basically go to Ace Hardware and get pure ammonia (no additives). Dose the tank to obtain an Ammonia level of 2.0 - 3.0 ppm. Keep dosing every day to keep the level constant. When the level falls to 0 after 24 hours, half the dosage amount. Nitrites will rise and fall. When Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 after 24 hours, you have a cycled tank. This is of course granted that Nitrates are present. This is not something that can be achieved during the course of a week. If you are looking for something that is faster, you could get Bio-Spira. It is more expensive, but has fast results (as long as it was stored properly).

IMO the Python is great for even a 5 gal tank. lol It is well worth it for our 29, so I'd say yes, it is worth it.

A QT is definately a good idea. All you need is the tank, heater, and filter. Also have an airstone on standby in case you have to treat for ich on new arrivals. You don't even need gravel. Just run the QT filter on the main tank until you need to QT a fish. That way you have an instantly cycled QT.

HTH

Ray,
Welcome!!!!!
This is a great place with alot of helpful people.

Go for the 150 watt Stealth heater listed above. It is a great heater and is on sale right now , well it was on sale yesterday, in any event well worth the 18 dollars. Stealth Heater

I use Stress Coat and it works great.

You will also need a test kit. A liquid reagent kit is the best, don't waste time on the test strips. I use the AP Freshwater Master Test Kit Test Kit

Follow the advice above for the fishless cycle and be prepared to look at an empty tank for about 8 weeks until the cycle is complete. There is a saying in this hobby, "nothing good comes fast".

Python is a great tool. To save some money go here

For your fist fish or two you do not need a QT tank, there is nothing to QT it from. Later on it would be a good idea to invest in one.

Good Luck,
Brian

Ok so the stress coat was a good call thats good to hear because i looked at so many declorhinators ..... any advice if the filter (emperor 280) i got is a good one and the type of media i got to put in it? ..... when i go back home today imma clean the tank and everything with hot water then wipe the outside down i guess and put everything in and wait for my filter and stuff to arrive from the docs.

I guess ill order the test kit, and new heater (funny story i actually had the stealth heater book marked to buy in case i did need to get a new one :)) along with maybe the python here in the next couple days or so .... is a heater needed to start the cycle process? .. if so ill use the old one for a bit if it works till i get the new one i guess.

It is a good idea to go ahead and get the air bubble tubing cause i had an idea to like bury it under the gravel in the back or so and have like a sort of wall of bubbles (good or bad idea ? ) .

Through much reading and ur input fishyfantic i think i will go the pure ammonia way .... ill head over to ace once all my stuff arives and find some .... ne way to know its pure or is there a certain brand?

Thanks guys ill check back later if i have anymore questions

Ray

the ammonia has to be crystal clear. Not yellow, not foggy. Absolutely clear. I saw some at Wal-Mart yesterday.

A lot of people buy the wrong ammonia. If it isn't crystal clear or you have any doubts, don't buy it.

Ray,
It would be a good idea to have the tank up and running during the cycle as if there were fish in the tank so yes put the heater in. A higher temp is said to help the cycle a little. i don't know if that is true or not but I guess it could not hurt anything.

The aircurtain will be fine. It will look nice to. I had a bubble disk in one of my tanks and some of the fish loved to swim in it. Go for it.

Follow lovemtbarbs advice on the ammonia. Someone else posted recently that they had the wrong ammonia, with detergent addatives. He had to empty and totally clean everything to start all over again.

Good Luck,
Brian

Ok new question (sorry i may have tons of these) .....
For the extra media pouch that is in the emperor 280 im getting should i start it with the diamond blend i ordered or order some bio balls? ... i guess what im asking is it better to start off with more biological or chemical filtration? .... or could i put both the bio balls and diamond blend in? ..... let me know asap cause i plan on ordering the balls if i have too along with the aquarium pharm master test kit and stealth heater (im holding off on the python for now) .... thanks guys

PS I have decided to go the pure ammonia way and will pick some up at ace or whereever i can find some pure and start the process once the stuff gets here ... also how many pounds of gravel should i put in a 30 gal tank? (or in inches works too) ... thanks

EDIT:Just thought of another one .... to put water in the tank to start off with is it ok if i use a hose from the outside of my house or does it have to be tap water? ... and off course ill add the stress coat to whichever i use ... just the hose will be much easier but will nitrates or anything be higher through the hose ... thanks

Ray

To start you want the biological filtration. The nitrogen cycle is based upon the growth of beneficial bateria. I would skip any chemicals except the dechlorinator.

Gravel: Go with what looks good to you. 1, 2 inches. No real rule here. If you were planting the tank or if it was a marine tank then there would be a lot more emphasis on this.

The water coming from your sink faucet is the same water that comes from a hose bib outside your hose. The difference here is the hose itself. There is a chance that some of the chemicals in the hose can leach out into the water and into your tank. However all the research I have done on this has indicated that this is of concern in hot weather where the hose has been in direct sunlight with stagnant water in the hose. The hose heats up and releases chemicals into the water standing in the hose. So if you use the hose, which I believe to be safe, let water run through the hose for a few minutes to "rinse it out" and do not leave it lying in the sun. Or you could buy a hose that is food grade and will not suffer from this disadvantage. Or you could go to a hardware store and buy a male and female hose adapter and some 5/8 inch vinyl tubing to make your own hose. Vinyl tubing does not release any chemicals. I use a standard garden hose.

Good Luck,
Brian

thanks for the advice macrosill ... i would really like to know if i could mix the bio balls and diamond blend media in the same media bag in the emperor 280 and still have the effect of them both ? ... or do i even need the balls since i hear the bio-wheel does a pretty good job? ... im off to go clean my tank and decor i got with hot water again ... just wanna be sure since i got it used.

Also lets say sometime in the future i do want to add live plants .... how much gravel would i need ? ... thanks again this is all helping me

Ray

Ray,
The Emperor 280 should have enough biological filtration on its own, once cycled. I have never used Diamond Blend but I would stay away from anything chemical unless there is a severe problem in the tank.

You will need to decide now if you may like plants in the future. If so then I would suggest you get sand for your substrate. I have heard that some plants can have a hard time in gravel. This might be a good topic to post in the Planted Tank forums, they have more experience with plants than I do. I am starting my 1st planted tanks as we speak and only thus far know what I have researched, no real world experience with plants, yet.

Good Luck,
Brian

Yea i was just wondering if i should make it a certain height in case i ever wanted to go with them but i probably never will with this tank (probably just use fake ones) .... and believe it or not i have another question.

This used tank i bought came with a lot of extra stuff i dont know if im gonna need or be able to use .... but one thing that was with it is a Penn Plax Cascase 300 internal filter ... i looked it up and its only made for 10 gallon tanks so ill probably use fot a QT when i get one but should i throw it on my 30 gallon along with my emperor just to help the process get started faster maybe and for extra filtration for a bit?

It also came with a air pump with which i do intend to use and connect to some bubble tubing like a previously stated .... but its called a profile 1000 (anyone heard of this?) .... the tubing on air pump is kind of brown inside but it works fine cause i tested it out ... any ideas on how to clean it or do i need to clean it?

When i got the tank it was a lil of a fixer upper if ya know what i mean but after 2 or 3 good cleanings with hot water i think i have it where i want quality wise and i did fill it for a few days to make sure it holds water .... my question is that it has some like streak spots or sun spots or something on the top that arnt very noticable but i cant seam to be able to clean them off .... any ideas on how to get these spots off?

Whew one last question thanks for being so patience guys i know im new and i dont know too much .... i measured my tank last night and the dimensions are 30in L 18.5in H 12.5in W ..... is this the normal 30 gal? cause i just want to make sure.

Ok i lied i thought of one more while i was typing that last one ... has anyone ever used a black light in their fish tank? ... is it doable?

Thanks a ton guys

Ray

The Penn Plax internal filter won't help your cycle move along any faster, but it is still a good idea to put it in your main tank if you're planning on using it for a QT. Once your main tank cycles, you will be able to pull the internal filter out of there to use in your QT without going through the cycling process in your QT. That way you won't need your QT set up unless you have sick fish or new arrivals.

If you have doubts about your airline tubing, just replace it IMO. It's very cheap to buy at Petsmart or something, and sometimes it comes with a one way valve to keep water out of your air pump. Then you can either buy some airstones or a bubble wand, or those "animated" ornaments that use the air pump and tubing.

Have you tried vinegar to get the streaks off the glass? It might help, just remember to rinse well. Good luck with your new setup.

Thanks ill try the vinegar ..... does anyone know anything about the filter media i was asking? ... if i could mix bio balls and diamond chemical media in a emperor 280 media bag? .... also anyone know anything about using a blacklight?

Ray

EDIT: Most of my stuff is supposed to come in one wed or thur so thats when i will get the ammonia and start trying to cycle it .... so if i have any problems or anything ill def ask you guys .... also i looked at a chart on fish tank dimensions that i found at this site http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
so i guess from the looks of it i have a 29 gal not a 30 ... later guys

I've never used the Diamond blend, but I do know that it is totally unnecessary in a cycled tank, and I believe I've heard others say that it can slow the cycle down (not sure about that though). I also have an Emperor 280 as well as an Emperor 400, and I just use filter floss in the extra media baskets, as carbon/zeolite/etc. are all unnecessary. I would just return the Diamond blend if I were you and choose some filter floss. As for the bio balls, I have never used them but if they fit in your filter then they can't hurt anything, although I can tell you that the Emperor will provide plenty of biological filtration for a 30 gallon tank even without any additional bio media added.

If you want plants in your tank, then a blacklight wouldn't work. Even if you don't, I'm not sure that fish would appreciate it. Then again, I don't know that they would care at all. If it's the moonlight effect that you want, there are plenty of strip lights to choose from that come with a moonlight.

Grr i ordered the diamon blend online from the docs when i got my filter and was hoping it was a good choice cause they said they go well together .... i guess i made the wrong choice .... i also got some chemicals from wal mart about a week ago when i got the tank that i will probably never use (tetra aqua safe and easy balance, and APs stress zyme) .... are they useless? .... but i guess im allowed some rookiee mistakes :)

I was just wondering about the black light cause i though it would look cool but i dont think i ever actually planned on using one :)

Thanks for the help and ill let you guys know how the cycling is going once i get it all started and my stuff in

Ray

I've never used Easy Balance or Stress Zyme. My guess is that it won't hurt anything, but won't be necessary either. The Aquasafe is dechlorinator, and you will have to use it with every water change, or any other time you add water to the tank. It will detoxify chlorine and chloramine in your tap water. :D

Ok so after going to target then walmart then ace i finally found some ammonia that when i shoke it and it didnt fizz .... as soon as my filter and stuff get in tomorrow im cleanin my rocks putting them in ... adding water from my hose outside and adding the stress coat .... and setting it all up then adding the 20 or so drops of ammonia then add some of the stress zyme (cant hurt) .... and then ill let ya know how it ends up .... i keep adding 20 drops each day right till i see nitrites?

Thanks Guys
Ray

PS I got some vinegar too so imma see if i can get those spots off then wash it with hot water ... peace out

Yea i actually have that AP freshwater test kit along with my visi therm stealth 150 watt heater ... so ill just go with the recommended 6-8 drops per 10 gal i read somewhere until i get the kit ..... and i got a huge thing of ammonia so i dont think ill run out :) ... thanks bud

Ray

EDIT: Well I just got my emperor 280 in along with a few other things ... so i clean my rocks today and put everything in and filled it up with water and got the filter going after i added the stress coat ........ then i noticed how cold the water is .... like 55 because i got it from the hose outside .... can bacteria grow at this cold? .... i turned the heater i have on full till i get my visi term stealth ...... so i added about 20 drops of ammonia then the stress zyme just to get it start (cant hurt)... and now its up and running ..... did i do anything wrong or forget anything?

Back
Top Bottom