New 30G Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Day 1, 10/23/04

Hi all,

I recently bought a 30 gallon cube tank from a friend. It's brand new (she didn't have enough time to start or maintain it), and it's a beautiful thing. Its measurements are 18.5"W*20"L*21.5"H (alright, not quite a cube...). It is acrylic (finally, an acrylic tank!!) with rounded edges, has a black background and a really nice black overflow filtration system.

I selected a location for the tank (my study) and have filled it with water and eco-complete... and a couple of snails and biowheels to start the biological filtration going... Right now the water is cloudy and the air bubbles are still stuck to the sides of the tank from when I filled it up.

Getting this tank just right will be a long process. I need to find the perfect piece of driftwood, the perfect fish (I'm going to make it an all-killifish tank, I think), and the perfect plants. Though I have a fair amount of light on the tank (96 Watts), I don't think the plants will be particularly special. I anticipate java fern and anubias species, and perhaps trying to cover the ground with a short sword or val plant.

Here are a few pictures. I doesn't look very special yet, but it really will! Thanks for looking. I hope to make you all proud when it's finished!

Jon

Very nice tank! Maybe you can try to heavily plant it and put some Dwarf Puffers in? They're so cute and i bet you could try to breed them in a tank this size........would be very cool i believe.
Or killies as u suggested are veryvery pretty.

Nice addition to your home! :D

Hey Jon, great looking tank. I may have some grow outs when you're ready. A pair of discus look awesome in a planted tank :wink:

Meghan: Not yet. I've put in some stray food, 2 snails, and a couple of biowheels. I'll be transferring over my last few zebra danios later today.

Brian: God, that's a fantastic idea. I just don't think I can really commit to discus, as I do spend a lot of time away from home now. I would never be able to keep up with the water changing schedule. You still reckon on daily changes, right?

BTW, I miss you guys!

Billsgate: Funny you mention it. I've got dwarf puffers already in a smaller tank. It sure would be incredible to have 20-40 of the guys in this tank. But I think the time for Killifish has come. DPs are incredible, cute little guys. If I didn't have them already, this tank would be designed with them in mind...

All: Still *very* excited about this tank. Will get more picture up when I've made some changes. Thanks for the comments!

Jon, in a planted 30gal with just 2 adult discus (and few other tankmates), you could probably get away with 1 weekly 50% water change. That's all I do on my planted 125 and I've got 5 adults in there. :wink:

No kidding!! Holy lord. Give me those beautiful discus now!! :wink:

Seriously, if that's a legit possibility, I'll do it. However, I think I'd prefer to have the discus in my 55 gallon for the obvious reason that they'll be more free to swim around. OK, you've started my mind thinking at a mile a minute. I just bought a pH regulator and an eheim liquidoser, so that tank is going to be really stable in terms of temp, pH, nutrients (pH regulator is already installed). If you think I can do with weekly changes, then I will do that--gradually start to segue (segway) my tank into a planted discus tank!

The thing with that Jon is the heavily planted tank. As you know, plants act as a rather unique filter. I wouldn't suggest this to just anyone but I know you can handle it. I'm doing 50% weekly in the planted 125. Well, sometimes twice a week if I see any sign of listlessness or slightly cloudy eyes. Also you need a very good clean up crew. Kuhli loaches are great because they get between the dense undergrowth.

Jon this is a cool setup and I know you will do it up right!

You could really go the "natural aquarium" way and get some plants in there pronto, and you will have NO cycle to worry about. You have enough light that if you throw in some hygro, watersprite, hornwort, plus the java's and anubias you won't have a hint of ammonia or nitrite. I think it would make a lovely killie tank but man wouldn't some discus show off great in there! The tall configuration sortof calls for it, dont'cha think?

I'll try to catch some of my cherry shrimp and pack them off to you and you'll be the envy of the block!

Oh boy, oh boy. Cherry shrimp, too? I'll be such a lucky kid!

I think I will just toss a lot of plants in there to cycle the tank. This is a very good idea, and what I've been planning to do. I'm going to take my time with this tank, though, and get the decor just right. Still looking for the perfect piece of driftwood! I'm going to put my 2 albino ancistrus (and any more I can finagle from Brian :wink: ) in there to keep the algae down. I'm still thinking that this one willl be a killie tank, while my more stable, larger 55-gallon will be my discus tank. I've still got some room in the big tank.

I'll bring 2 more to more plecos for you when I attend the GCAS meeting in Dec. They're getting pretty large now. :D

That's right. You're not going to be at the meeting this coming Wed, right?

Hope at least Andy will come. I'll feel pretty lonely if not!

Right Jon. I've a meeting in San Juan on the 3rd. Figure I may as well stay the weekend and play a little customer golf in the tropics :D

Some have it tough... :wink:

Have a good trip. We'll miss ya! Anything we should pick up and hold for you if we see it in the auction?

Back
Top Bottom