New 32g community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malupoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and girls, just started my new tank a 32g community planted is the aim. I originally was going to do a 60cm cube but it was half as cheap to have 60cmx45x45.
I would like some advice on my stocking list and if everything is compatible and getting a appropriate tank size.

My stocking plan-
2x blue rams
5x kuhli loaches
1x bristle nose pleco ( or something fancier if they fit)
10x glo light tetras

Thank you for any help and look forward to your opinions and suggestions.

Look into starlight bristlenose pleco if you want a fancier pleco they look amazing! But your stock does look good should work! I would do a sand bottom for the kuhlis though they love sand.

Stock list looks great. Make sure to offer structures for the rams and others for the loaches. This should keep anyone from snacking on the guy nextdoor.

I put my stock list aqadvisor and it says rams are too aggressive for glo lights. Has something changed since I last had a aquarium?

Starlight pleco does look pretty, I have never seen one in Sydney though so would hate to know the price of one here. What other pleco stay in the 4-5 inch range? I recall a nameless one was taken off quarantine list here a few years ago but I forget it's L number.

You could look into clown plecos to they are a neat looking one.

Got my tank today, ended up being 61x45x50cm. So about 36 gallons.
Ended up buying a albino long fin bristle nose pleco as well. He is looking happy in QT at the moment.
Started cycling just a few hours ago. Now the waiting game begins.

I have changed my stocking a little bit, my wife hates the kuhli loaches as they look to much like snakes so here is what I'm thinking now.

2x blue rams
10x glo light tetras
1x albino bristlenose
6-7 corydoras ( I'm liking pandas but the wife prefers jullii??)

Do you guys think I have more room for another mid water school or another centre piece of some sort? I'm open to suggestions and ideas :)

That sounds like a good fit for your tank! I think you still have a little room. I would just add 1 honey gourami or dwarf gourami for another centerpiece type fish. I wouldn't add another school I think that would look a little full.

Awesome thanks.
Would a female betta do ok with the other fish? I have a male that I would like to breed but don't want to keep another tank just for a female betta.

Going to upgrade my filter next week as well. What do you guys think. Eheim 2215 or fluval 206.
I know eheim were the diamond standard at one time. How do te competition stand against them now?

Both filters are good but I own a fluval 306 and love it and I think the 206 would be a great choice, media containers and way easier maintanince IMO.

You'll be happy with the Longfin Albino BNP. My last one is now 3 years old and is out and about most all the time during the day. Albino BNP's are known for being more active during the day.

I have used Fluval canisters since the 80's and obviously have had very good luck with them. They are easy to setup, self prime, have easy on/off for cleaning.

As for stock you could do a few more fish. Have you considered a school of top swimmers such as Threadfin Rainbowfish or Marbled Hatchet's? Your going to have a lot of lower tank activity and only the Tetra's swimming mid water (usually). Even another small school of fish with a very different body shape works well. Harlequin or Purple Harleguin Rasbora's are a nice complimentary fish. They also tend to stay in the higher levels of the tank.

If the female betta has a good temperament it would work but you will have to watch her for aggression. Also if you add 1 small female betta you still have some stocking room left.

I really like the threadfin but I have never seen them in Australia. Will try and ask around.
Loving my albino bristlenose, much more active and out in the open than past pleco species I have kept before.

Fluval it is then, would a fluval 306 do well on 36g or should I go all out for the 406? 406
Is pretty close to breaking the budget but it can be done if a 306 is under filtering my tank.

I really like the threadfin but I have never seen them in Australia. Will try and ask around.
Loving my albino bristlenose, much more active and out in the open than past pleco species I have kept before.

Fluval it is then, would a fluval 306 do well on 36g or should I go all out for the 406? 406
Is pretty close to breaking the budget but it can be done if a 306 is under filtering my tank.

A 306 would be fine. I use 406's in my 55g and up tanks.

Threadfins come from Australia and some in New Guinea so depending on your wildlife rules pertaining to native species could be the reason you can't get them.

Back
Top Bottom