New 35 pentagon corner tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColtsGuy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello gonna pick up a pentagon tank 35 gallon for my nephew he's really interested in fish and is a sponge lol. I will be helping with the stocking, water changes ect... I have been seeding a filter pad for him for almost 2 months from my established tank. Just wanted to know what some ppl would stock it with. Any advice welcome, thanks in advance

Depends upon what you want to accomplish.

For an example, one idea might be guppies. They are colorful (therefore might be more interesting than other fish to a child) and they are prolific breeders, so your nephew will get to learn something as the fish produce fry. Simply start with something like three females and one male (the females need to significantly out number the males to "keep them at bay"). Within a month, you're likely to have to little guppy fry in the tank.

Mollies would be another example of a live-bearer, like guppies, that might be interesting to a child.

I would also suggest that before adding fish, you take the time to do a fishless cycle to make sure you're seeded filter pad has really taken root in the new tank. A good source of pure ammonia (without sufficants or soaps) would be Ace Hardware.

If you want something that is as simple as possible to take care of, Goldfish are obviously a good "hearty" choice.

I would also suggest that you consider leaving enough "room" in the tank that you could add a set of algae eaters later (i.e. don't max out the stocking of the tank). Once the tank is well established and mature, you could add some ottos to control algae, but they like to be in groups of three or more.

And of course to best make the tank as easy as possible to care for, you can try to keep the stock very low, perhaps as few as three fish in that 35 gallon tank.

Do you have any specific goals?

Depends upon what you want to accomplish.

"If you want something that is as simple as possible to take care of, Goldfish are obviously a good "hearty" choice."

Please do not advise goldfish as a good 'hearty' choice. This is a poor misconception to propagate in respect to goldfish. Their scope of care & commitment goes well beyond throwing them in a tank & hoping for them to survive. Their lifespans can exceed 20yrs with proper care & the correct environment. Their proper care is not 'simplistic'. Before purchasing any species of fish, diligent research is necessary in respect to their care, housing, & compatibility with other species.

I agree with jlk. Maintaining a healthy goldfish tank requires a lot more maintenance than you typical tropical setup. I have both and I spend a lot more time maintaining optimum water conditions in my goldfish tanks than my tropical tanks.

The live bearers are an excellent idea. My daughter (3) loved seeing all the 'baby' fish and pointing out the boy and the girl fish. Se also enjoys watching my kuhli loaches. They 'look like worms' she says. Another fish she enjoys are Corydora catfish because she's obsessed with cats for some reason. Lol.

I'd suggest taking your nephew to your LFS and letting him pick out the fish he likes and base your decision around that.

How old is your nephew? Maybe you could teach him some of the science behind fish keeping. The whole fish food/poop breaks down turns to ammonia etc etc...
For my tank I give my daughter options and then let her make the final opinion. I showed her a pic of the denison barb and is sold.

Ya I started to teach him about bb and ammonia from the fish poo. He's 12. we have to clean it out real good first as it came from craigslist. gonna keep it real simple with only a couple fish.

Sounds to me you are on the right track. Just think you will also be able to show how hard work pays off. Dirty tank to clean tank to nicely decorated tank

thanks for the replies, currently water testing just to make sure there are no leaks.

Back
Top Bottom