New 36 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I haven't had an aquarium in 21 years so when my wife surprised me with an Aqueon 36g bowfront kit for Christmas I was quite excited. I am looking for some stocking advice. I know the tank needs to be cycled but I am looking for some ideas as to what will work best in here. My wife really wants colorful fish and I am personally fond of fish that swim around a bit and don't just sit there. I am pretty sure I would just like a community type tank with the possibility of a few peaceful Chichlids. In the past I enjoyed having a few cats (pictus or upside down though i don't really have to have them in tank) and wondered what sort of colorful fish I might be able to add?

Thanks,

Mark

I've had a school of 12 or so tiger barbs and they swim back and forth and back and forth all day. Though most will vote against barbs I've never had a problem with aggression issues..so I might suggest this set up to get started. 6-8 Cory's (panda Cory's are my favorite) 8-12 tiger barbs 8-12 assorted tetras a pair of blue gouramis maybe a pair of silver dollars.

Thanks for the input. Curious do some of the friendlier Cichlids fare well in community tanks? Would like to get something with a little color

I have the same tank and I'm also in the Central Florida area. Here's a few suggestions, based on what I've found locally. I'm not suggesting all of these in your tank, as it would be overstocked, just some ideas on what sizes of schools/shoals to get.

German blue ram - 1 or 2 (1m, 1f) - I have two and they're great in my tank
Bleeding heart or black skirt Tetra - min 6
Longfin leopard or zebra danio - min 6
Cory cat of some kind - min 5
Tiger or cherry barb - min 6
Threadfin rainbow - min 6
Single angelfish

There are lot of others too.

If I may suggest a few things... get black substrate, makes the fish colors pop more. Also, buy a better or second filter. Either an Aquaclear and run both HOB's, or a canister only. I have a Fluval 306 and love it on this aquarium. The filter in the kit is pretty weak.

Thanks. Yeah the filter looked a bit wimpy. I have an old breeder 30gal in storage I think it had a pretty hefty filter on it too if it actually functions. Curious..what substrate did you use. I have seen quite a few sand bottom tanks and I just happen to have 10 lbs of pool filter sand here so I was considering that as a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for the input. Curious do some of the friendlier Cichlids fare well in community tanks? Would like to get something with a little color

Bolivian/electric blue/golden/balloon/German blue rams are all peaceful. Kribs are peaceful, and so are apistos. I recommend them.

I used Black Diamond blasting sand, was $7 for a 50lb bag at TSC. It was a royal pain to rinse, and gave off oily reside while I was cycling, but looks great. I've noticed the cory's don't dig in it like the ones in my other sand bottom tank do. I think it might be too sharp for them to dig in. The pool filter sand will work just fine.

think I will go the poolsand route just because i have it on hand. Those fish prefer planted it seems, does it matter if they are real or fake?

Get some rainbowfish and a couple of bolivian rams or german blue rams.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most rainbows need a long tank like 48 inches long and the 36 bf is only 30. The stocking that I have on mine that I just got up and running is 7 platy The fry were already here. In my other tank. One pair marble angels, 10 cardinal tetras and I will be adding a german blue ram once the tank is a bit more developed in about 4-6months. GBR do better in a more established tank.
But kribs, and apisto are both colorful and great fish!

There are a lot of smaller breeds of rainbows like threadfin that could work.

An electric blue ram is a peaceful chiclid I believe. The ya re stunning!

Personally I only use live plants but I do low light low tech. I dose a few fertilizers and liquid carbon but thats it

Same I am a live plant freak! Here is a pic of mine that I set up at Christmas for my girls. I upgraded the light to quad T5HOs so I can grow basically anything.

how well would the stock lights do? I really dont have another $100 to spend on lighting, would rather spend that on fish

Back
Top Bottom