new 36 gallon freshwater tank concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles3585

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a 36 gallon tank and ran everything I put in it under water before putting it into the tank like the people at petsmart told me to do and I let the filter run for about a week and they told me it would be ok to add fish. This is my first experience having any fish and until I found this aquarium app for my phone I didn't know you should cycle your tank before adding fish and now I'm afraid they're going to get sick or die. I have 2 guppies and 2 platy fish. The day after I added my fish the water started getting cloudy and i got concerned and took the water to petsmart to be tested. (8/15) My ammonia level was 2.0. I took the water again today (8/16) and my ammonia was 0.5, nitrIte was 0, nitrAte 0, and pH 7.0. I also bought the Api liquid master test kit everyone talks about on here and i'll post those results later tonight. In the mean time is there anything I should be doing to keep my fish healthy and happy?

So I bought a 36 gallon tank and ran everything I put in it under water before putting it into the tank like the people at petsmart told me to do and I let the filter run for about a week and they told me it would be ok to add fish. This is my first experience having any fish and until I found this aquarium app for my phone I didn't know you should cycle your tank before adding fish and now I'm afraid they're going to get sick or die. I have 2 guppies and 2 platy fish. The day after I added my fish the water started getting cloudy and i got concerned and took the water to petsmart to be tested. (8/15) My ammonia level was 2.0. I took the water again today (8/16) and my ammonia was 0.5, nitrIte was 0, nitrAte 0, and pH 7.0. I also bought the Api liquid master test kit everyone talks about on here and i'll post those results later tonight. In the mean time is there anything I should be doing to keep my fish healthy and happy?

:welcome: to AA! :)

I highly reccomend returning the fish and doing a fishless cycle. If you can't, then all you can do is read this is in the mean time to help your fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I read that already :) so pretty much all I can do is water changes right now? And I use a water conditioner in my tap water before adding it to the tank?

I read that already :) so pretty much all I can do is water changes right now? And I use a water conditioner in my tap water before adding it to the tank?

Oh okay :)

Yes, that's basically all you can do. It's all on what you want to do. I add it to my water before I put it in, some people put it in the tank and then add the water, some put the water in the tank and then add the conditioner. All based on what you want to do.

Hi and welcome to AA!

Sadly you're another victim of some pet stores when it comes to fish advice.

Since you just bought the fish they should be returnable. If they aren't, you can do a fish-in cycle. It'll just be a lot of work on your part for a while. That guide Bruinsbro linked to you will help. Basically test the water every day and any time nitrite or ammonia get above 0.25, do a water change (don't forget the dechlorinator and to match the temperature of the tap water to tank water). Depending on the levels you could be doing some larger water changes as the cycle progresses. Good luck and we'll help whenever we can. :)

Thanks a bunch. I'm really annoyed that the pet store doesn't tell you that you need to cycle your tank beforehand. I'll keep posting my progress and hopefully my fishies make it. I'm already attached to them and so is my girlfriend lol!

Should I be testing for nitrIte and nitrAte right now or just pH and ammonia?

I would test for all 4.

FYI - be sure to wait at least 24 hours after adding a dechlorinator to get tank readings, otherwise they are false.

Welcome to the forum!

LyndaB said:
FYI - be sure to wait at least 24 hours after adding a dechlorinator to get tank readings, otherwise they are false.

Sorry, I have to disagree there :(. Products like Prime will temporarily neutralize ammonia, but not remove it...so it still shows up on an API Kit, but that can easily be compensated by testing the tap water and seeing if it contains ammonia (from chloramines). If not, the readings are accurate immediately after the new water has a chance to circulate. If it does contain ammonia, you can do a little bit of math and see how pwc's are effecting the levels.

In this particular case the OP has a small bio-load, so constant testing isn't as important...but in some cases it is needed to test more than once a day (like 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon for example), so you need to figure out and always know your readings IMO.

Last edited:
With an uncycled tank, I would always advise to do more testing rather than less. My suggestion is not based on bioload but rather because it's my opinion that it's important to know just how toxic the water is in an uncycled tank.

LyndaB said:
With an uncycled tank, I would always advise to do more testing rather than less. My suggestion is not based on bioload but rather because it's my opinion that it's important to know just how toxic the water is in an uncycled tank.

Right, but advising to wait 24 hours after using a dechlorinator to test otherwise you get false readings may send mixed messages of how often testing should be performed...and I really don't know any examples of dechlorinators giving false readings, just what I guess you could consider false positives if the tap water does indeed have ammonia levels, but that can be compensated for by the way I explained above.

Now, if you're using a quality dechlorinator like Prime or Amquel which neutralizes ammonia for 24-36 hours (normally up to 1ppm), it may be a moot point testing more than 24 hours anyway since the low levels of ammonia aren't a threat. I'm just addressing the false readings during the first 24 hours comment...that is definitely not a blanket statement in most cases IMO/E.

eco, with all due respect, you and I don't appear to see eye-to-eye on much of anything when it comes to fishkeeping. I think we should leave it at stating our opinions and ignoring each other.....

LyndaB said:
eco, with all due respect, you and I don't appear to see eye-to-eye on much of anything when it comes to fishkeeping. I think we should leave it at stating our opinions and ignoring each other.....

I think this is only twice we've disagreed on something, lol. I'm sorry if you're offended or upset (not my intention), but I believe the forum is for stating opinions and sharing advice whether they agree with other posts or not. I really don't look at names...I look at information and either agree or disagree if I feel my comments are worth posting.

The statement that test results are not accurate within 24 hours of pwc's is not correct IMO...and I would disagree whether it is a person who just signed up today, or an administrator who's been here 10 years.

It's nothing personal, just stating my experience and advice.

When I add fish or have a new tank or anything other situation where I have changed something, I usually test every day before a water change just to have a record of how my water is reacting to the new situation.

I usually test for four or five days in a row and if the parameters are good, then I test every 3 days, then once a week, usually before a water change.

My main objective is to see how my water parameters are behaving so I can get a goo fell when I need to intervene.

So I have another question but this time its about my fish. Since I've put the 2 guppys and 2 platys in the tank the male guppy hasn't stopped following around the female or male platy. He wants nothing to do with the female guppy and he never leaves either platy alone. Is this a bad thing?

You might want to start a new thread with that topic as no one who's visited this one is going to know that you're looking for that information in this thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom