New 40 gal. freshwater planted aquarium, stocking questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennie L

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a just cycles &began a new 40 gal. Planted aquarium. At this point I am not using any co2 ( kinda scares me) yet I have ordered one. Currently I have 10 bright eye (eye spot) Rasbora, 5 otos & 8 harlequin Rasbora. I would like to add one more school of Rasbora or danio yet I would also like to keep a few (3), corys catfish. Would I be overstocking & can you even keep 3 sm. Corys or must they be with a full school of 6? Any advise, help, stocking.g suggestions, pls feel free to speak up! Thank you all in advance.

Jennie L said:
I have a just cycles &began a new 40 gal. Planted aquarium. At this point I am not using any co2 ( kinda scares me) yet I have ordered one. Currently I have 10 bright eye (eye spot) Rasbora, 5 otos & 8 harlequin Rasbora. I would like to add one more school of Rasbora or danio yet I would also like to keep a few (3), corys catfish. Would I be overstocking & can you even keep 3 sm. Corys or must they be with a full school of 6? Any advise, help, stocking.g suggestions, pls feel free to speak up! Thank you all in advance.

6 is better for Cories. I think you'll have room. Just keep in mind they like sand or rounded gravel. Sand is preferred. Mine love to root through the sand. Never bother plants.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have kept a single cory with tetras for a few months. I have a mix of sand and gravel. He seems to like the mix and loves to dig around in both. He is the most active member of the tank and is very entertaining to watch.

I am cycling the tank w/fluval c4 hob filter, heavily planted (yet plenty of open space for fish) I cycled for 1 week fishless yet with plenty of driftwood, plants & 2 t5 50 watt lighing. Started adding sm. groups of fish, first week, 4 harlequin Rasbora & 2 otos, the next week I added 5 very sm. Bright eye (eye spot) Rasbora. Added bio from established fluval filter to tank today. Scared to take readings 2morrow. I WILL though, absolutely!!! Let you know how they are then! Thanks for the link, that was the perfect article for me to read!

Letting the tank run for week doesn't cycle it properly. I wouldn't add any more fish until you can get some tank readings and find out what's going on. Have you done any water changes since the fish have been in there? Get a good liquid test kit (API master), the strips aren't accurate.

No water changes as yet. Have API test kit. Readings lst nite.
PH: 7.4
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate .5 will test again this morning & do 10 gal. Water change. Is that enough or shod I do 50%? Thank you for your help & advice. Jennifer

Well it seems as if I am fluid.g blind here. Could really use some advice. Been cycling planted tank w/fish for two wks now. My readings have remained the same for one week now.
Ammo: oops, it came back down to 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2.0ppm
The Ammo was reading .25 last night...now a jump in Nitrate yet the Ammo didn't get as high as everyone else's seem to be. Should the Ammo be up more? In the water still & how do I keep the nitrate from spikeing & not killing fish. Cycling w/fish 5 sm. Bright eye Rasbora, 4 harlequin Rasbora & 4 otos. They are all active tho some hide sometimes. But I know they will b more active once I get there school mates in!! Any advice on levels and fish cycling..pls chime in! Thank you. You've all been great!

Jennie L said:
Also, how do I request a person affiliated w/ site for them to comment also? How do i invite or request there knowledge?
You could PM the person.

Jennie L said:
Well it seems as if I am fluid.g blind here. Could really use some advice. Been cycling planted tank w/fish for two wks now. My readings have remained the same for one week now.
Ammo: oops, it came back down to 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2.0ppm
The Ammo was reading .25 last night...now a jump in Nitrate yet the Ammo didn't get as high as everyone else's seem to be. Should the Ammo be up more? In the water still & how do I keep the nitrate from spikeing & not killing fish. Cycling w/fish 5 sm. Bright eye Rasbora, 4 harlequin Rasbora & 4 otos. They are all active tho some hide sometimes. But I know they will b more active once I get there school mates in!! Any advice on levels and fish cycling..pls chime in! Thank you. You've all been great!
You are doing fine. Let your test result tell you when to do a water change but also make sure to stick with a good PWC schedule of about 50% a week. If the ammonia and/or nitrite rise above 0.25 do a water change. Don't worry about nitrate unless it rises above 20.00ppm.

Back
Top Bottom