New 40 gal tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurenlloyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be starting a 40 gal tank this summer. How long will it take to cycle the tank? I have the bacteria starter. Thanks!

Usually takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks. If the bacteria starter works you'll be closer to the 2 weeks. You could always do a fishless cycle also.

Would the fishless cycle take longer? Also when I am starting the tank, do I keep it at 78 degrees that the tank will be operating at?

Would the fishless cycle take longer? Also when I am starting the tank, do I keep it at 78 degrees that the tank will be operating at?

Please take some time to read the 'sticky' or pinned guide at the beginning of the Getting Started section. Start with the Guide to Starting a Freshwater tank article. It covers all the basics for starting a fw tank and the different methods for cycling.

Bottled bacteria products are hit or miss at best. If you can acquire some cycled filter media, this will be the most helpful in jump starting your cycle. You will need to decide if you plan on cycling fishless or fishin. From scratch (no cycled media), fishless typically takes 4-8 weeks and fishin 6-8+ weeks. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Media from a running established tank should instantaneously cycle your tank. Make sure you slowly add fish though so you allow the bacteria to double naturally

Ok. I have done some reading but now I want to ask if my tanks filter will be strong enough? I have:a marineland filter pump with the tube and gravel box/filter on the end. It says 120 VAC 15AMP but nothing else. It pumps water up into the hood, through a cartridge(with the sponge and carbon tabs) and then over a bio wheel.
Then there is a 550 power head that cycles 145 Gallons/hour. (if I add this to the filter will it create a large current?) Thanks

Back
Top Bottom