New 40 Gallon Cycled/New Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colemanburns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have one cobalt cichlid, an algae eater & a rainbow shark. I want something simi-exotic!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK, one cichlid is never a good idea as the entire tank now belongs to him / her. You need to decide what you want in this tank and go from there. If cichlids aren't your thing than get rid of the colbolt. If not it will kill all other fish. A 40 is a tad small for Africans, but limiting the number and type you can make it work. There is a lot of information out there, so get reading.

The cobalt cichlid is too aggressive and large to be in that tank, the Chinese algae eater will kill and suck slime coats off of other fish, and the rainbow shark is also too large.

Hi Colmanburns,
You have chosen quite big fish for a 40g and if the algae eater is a plec and not a Chinese algae eater then those 3 fish should not be sharing that tank.
In the past, before the invent of the Web and forums, I kept single large specimens in about 35-40g tanks. Their behaviour was all wrong and now I understand why. In the wild Fish territories are large and opportunity to swim is almost endless and in a small tank I believe they just go mad, or the fish equivalent.
I have a 60g with fish no bigger than 2" fully grown. They are well proportioned to the size of the tank and the behaviour is as near to wild as possible in the confines of a tank.
You might have to have a rethink on your present stocking if you want a successful tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Colmanburns,
You have chosen quite big fish for a 40g and if the algae eater is a plec and not a Chinese algae eater then those 3 fish should not be sharing that tank.
In the past, before the invent of the Web and forums, I kept single large specimens in about 35-40g tanks. Their behaviour was all wrong and now I understand why. In the wild Fish territories are large and opportunity to swim is almost endless and in a small tank I believe they just go mad, or the fish equivalent.
I have a 60g with fish no bigger than 2" fully grown. They are well proportioned to the size of the tank and the behaviour is as near to wild as possible in the confines of a tank.
You might have to have a rethink on your present stocking if you want a successful tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The fish shouldn't be together even if it is a Chinese algae eater. If anything they're worse than plecos.

Back
Top Bottom