New 40g Long need help with fishless cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flash081 said:
Oh, Eco, I had forgotten when you asked me but I also have an established filter that I'm using as well. That may be the cause.

Ah-ha! It must be a fantastic piece of heavily seeded media. You may be on pace for setting the new record :). I really should create a leader board, lol.

LOL
yeah it's a Marineland power 200 with 2 used filters in it =D. I just thought about that tonight and a lightbulb went on.

Flash081 said:
LOL
yeah it's a Marineland power 200 with 2 used filters in it =D. I just thought about that tonight and a lightbulb went on.

I knew something didn't add up...but I figured it's better to not question a good thing, lol. I don't know where you got the filters from...but make sure the other tank is closely monitored, because removing that much beneficial bacteria from a tank is a recipe for a mini-cycle.

He was moving away so he had given his fish great new homes....sadly I couldn't take them myself because I hadn't yet set up my tank and he emptied his tank the day prior to me starting the cycle so I spent hours harassing him to give me the filter.

Flash081 said:
A friend of mine had emptied his tank the day prior to me starting the cycle so I spent hours harassing him to give me the filters.

Awesome. Was it well stocked? To be honest...if the tank was established, well stocked, and the filter media was fresh (which it certainly appears to be)... stocking the tank initially would have been an option since you seem to have enough BB to handle a small bio-load. Since you've already got the ball rolling...I'd personally continue on as planned and finish fishless cycling in record time. In that case you will be able to virtually fully stock your tank all at once assuming they are peaceful community fish...as opposed to very slowly adding them over weeks or months. You're doing fantastic. I think the current record for fishless cycling at 4ppm with seeded media is 12-13 days...you might challenge the record ;)

Well I hope so!
Don't want to jinx it though so I'll continue knocking on wood for the next few minutes!

Also, how's this for a stock list to go in all relatively quick (depending on what SM and HN1 have in stock as well as my lfs)

3 Apisto Cockatoo (1 male 2 female if I can find them)
12 zebra danio (may add a few glofish when i can afford them)
10 Rummynose
6 cory cats

-or-

1 angel
1 B. Ram.
Rest of the community fish
6 cory cats

sounds like a good stock plan. I'm not really a zebra danio fan, but i do have a few longfin ones in a tank somewhere.

I really like the longfin as well, however I haven't seen any at my lfs or online so I don't know how I'd go about tracking them down. I'm really apprehensive about just ordering them from a site online that I haven't been positively referred to.

Flash081 said:
Well I hope so!
Don't want to jinx it though so I'll continue knocking on wood for the next few minutes!

Also, how's this for a stock list to go in all relatively quick (depending on what SM and HN1 have in stock as well as my lfs)

3 Apisto Cockatoo (1 male 2 female if I can find them)
12 zebra danio (may add a few glofish when i can afford them)
10 Rummynose
6 cory cats

-or-

1 angel
1 B. Ram.
Rest of the community fish
6 cory cats

Stocking isn't my specialty...but you've got some awesome fish picked out. The way I stock community tanks is by filling each level with a centerpiece fish as well.

For example in my 46 gallon I have -
- Top Level - mix of Glofish and Leopard Danios (a certain person says they're not top dwellers...but they have almost exclusively been in numerous tanks I've had)
- Mid Level - Red Eye Tetras and Neons (to be honest, they're lower mid level...Neons can also be bad news)
- Bottom Dwellers- Panda Corys
- Centerpiece- Bolivian Ram.
I also have a ton of RCS, 3 Amano shrimp and a bunch of Otos in there

I love the fish in your first stocking, but I'd be nervous about the Apistos with the Corys. I've heard horror stories of a spawning pair of Apistos having seriously problems with Corydoras who share the same bottom level of the tank.

If you plan on Apistos being the highlight, I'd either personally forgo the Corys (which are fantastic fish I would never trade), or possibly choose a single male Apisto to serve as your centerpiece fish.

I've never personally kept Apistos...only Bolivians and GBR...but I've heard lots of first hand accounts from trusted members of Corys and spawning Apistos being a bad mix.

Like I said, stocking isn't necessarily my thing so get other opinions. I always recommend shrimp though because they bring a different aspect to the tank and give a nice help with keeping things tidy as well :)

Last edited:
I really like the cory's so I won't risk it with the Apisto.
I'll probably post in general about the second stock list and see what everyone else thinks. I've heard that B. Rams are about the only dwarf cichlid that go well with angel so I would really like to try that out. I love the way Angels look!

Flash081 said:
I really like the cory's so I won't risk it with the Apisto.
I'll probably post in general about the second stock list and see what everyone else thinks. I've heard that B. Rams are about the only dwarf cichlid that go well with angel so I would really like to try that out. I love the way Angels look!

Like I said, I've never had personal experience with Apistos...only first hand accounts from trusted members. It's definitely worth looking into if they're something you really like. My personal philosophy with community tanks is keep em healthy and keep things peaceful...when in doubt I err on the side of caution. One of our members Rich (can't remember his full user name), and also Severum Mama and HN1 are the go to source for compatibility questions as well as an awesome source for buying the fish. They're definitely the direction I'd look towards when you're ready to stock :)

Just posted in the general thread on a few stock list options i'd been looking at to see what they have to say. If I can't get an response I might PM SM/HN1 to see what they say.

BTW, I can't wait to test my water tomorrow....am I addicted yet?

Flash081 said:
Just posted in the general thread on a few stock list options i'd been looking at to see what they have to say. If I can't get an response I might PM SM/HN1 to see what they say.

BTW, I can't wait to test my water tomorrow....am I addicted yet?

I've said this before...but it is absolutely shocking how exciting / heartbreaking / exhilarating / satisfying an empty tank of water can be, haha.

zebra danios are not topdwellers, at least in the way I've always defined it. I have some angelfish that spend almost all of their time at the surface also, but I still don't classify them as topdwellers either. Something like hatchetfish or african butterflys come to mind, but it could just be the way I define it.

In general I consider danios to be either a mid schooler or an all levels fish.

However, it's a generality that varies depending on tank type and stock. I've managed to make endlers a topdwelling fish by keeping them with a colony of multis, but I still wouldn't consider them as such.

But that's all beside the point. I wouldn't worry about putting apistos and corys together in a large footprint tank, but I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure what would happen. I have kept breeding rams and corys together multiple times without any problem.

That said, I'd probably pick one or the other for the bottom of the tank, or avoid the breeding problem by keeping a single fish instead of a pair.

Keeping a breeding group of any kind of cichlids and keeping things peaceful can be difficult to accomplish.

I was thinking about doing the african butterfly as a top dweller, but I think they would be too big for my stock list. Right now I'm leaning towards going with

1- Angel
1- Bolivian Ram
12- Danio
10- R. Tetra
6- Panda Cory

I suppose I could take out the Danio and put in like 3 Butterfly as the butterfly are much larger and danio have a very small bioload if i'm not mistaken.

I also have a couple HOB filters so there are a couple small (maybe food and a half) openings in the back of my hood. Would they jump out of those?

I wouldn't worry too much about a particular type of topdweller, the schoolers in the tank will often take different portions of the tank (or they may just share an area). I'm not really into danios, but I do have a good bit of experience keeping and breeding different danio species. If you end up having to order fish, I'd pick something less common than the run of the mill zebras/glofish. danio choprai are awesome, nearly the size of zebras, less aggressive, more colorful, and still fairly new to the hobby. There are a few others as well, if you are into danios in general. My friend Dennis has a pretty cool site with info @ www.danionins.com

I have no personal experience with african butterfly fish, but they look cool from above, like an airplane lol.

I really like the Danio Tinwini, again the only problem would be finding them to purchase...And the price. I can't afford to purchase a lot of extremely pricey fish atm as I"ve just bought the tank and everything itself.

Yeah I know what you mean. If your emphasis is just on getting it all stocked out immediately then you will probably be better off hitting petsmarts $1 sale, they usually have various tetras and other stuff for a buck. If you go with glofish you'll still end up paying a premium, but at least you don't have to pay shipping also.

It's not so much getting the $1 fish so much as buying 12-$4 instead of 12- $10. Those 12 fish would cost as much as the rest of the stock combined (referring to premium price on Glofish.)

True. Usually online fish vendor prices are lower than pet store prices, and when buying in large groups, often discounted a little, so it usually works out cheaper to order in, if you know where to look.

I got my group of pandas ordered in because my LFS had them for $8 versus me paying 2.50 per. So after buying a dozen it was about 40 dollars shipping included instead of 96 dollars.

I don't usually buy anything from my LFS unless I'm only after a fish or two to fill in or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom