New 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dluxx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a new tank ran a cycle and got my water checked everything is awesome I have about 30 fish in there now is that too much I have guppies Dalmatians Molly tetras all schooling fish roughly that size I don't know if it's too many ??
HELP :fish2:

Depends on the mix tetras are small and have a very low bio load mollys are mid sized and if you have 2 you will soon have 200 this calculator will be a good place to start

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Is it heavily decorated or planted? If not, it shouldn't be much of a problem since those fish are pretty small. Cardex is right, mollies will reproduce pretty easily so you will want to watch out for pregnant mothers!

I've heard that for freshwater tanks, a good rule of thumb is that you should have about one gallon of liquid per inch of fish that you have. For example, you shouldn't have over 10 fish that are each 2 inches long in a 20 gallon tank. Obviously, this rule has exceptions but it may be helpful in later decisions.

This is my tank . It looks nice and full which I like . What do you guys think

Overstocked?

I just started a new tank ran a cycle and got my water checked everything is awesome I have about 30 fish in there now is that too much I have guppies Dalmatians Molly tetras all schooling fish roughly that size I don't know if it's too many ??
HELP :fish2:

Hello D...

30 small fish isn't too many for a 45 G. Guppies in the right water and plant conditions, will multiply very quickly, but the males won't do as well with other species as they do in a "species only" tank. The other fish will make a target of the male Guppy's fancy tail.

Keep the tank water clean, by doing large, frequent water changes and keep the tank well planted. "Livebearers" are especially comfortable in tanks with a lot of plants.

B

How often should I fee my fish ? They look hungry all the time I feed them 4 to give pinches of flakes in the morning! Is this enough

Did this work ?

Attachments

• image-1006840289.jpg
    image-1006840289.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 41
Feeding Your Fish

How often should I fee my fish ? They look hungry all the time I feed them 4 to give pinches of flakes in the morning! Is this enough

Hey D...

Most aquarium fish are pretty small, with very small stomachs, about the size of one of their eyes. It won't take much to fill it. I feed twice a week and just what will be eaten in a few minutes. I prefer to feed mostly frozen, it's very good for the fish. It has no additives with names you can't pronounce.

Anyway, feed just a little and your fish will always be looking for leftovers and get their exercise. Your tank will stay much cleaner too.

B

Should I use blood worms I hear the keep your tank cleaner and fish flakes make a mess ?

Should I use blood worms I hear the keep your tank cleaner and fish flakes make a mess ?

Frozen foods are generally better for the fish then flake or pellets but as far as keeping the tank clean its about the same but now that I think about it I have never had to net out any leftover frozen foods the fish eat it up fast and keep looking for more

That being said my fish get flakes on Monday and Friday brine shrimp and Tuesday and Saturday bloodworms on Wednesday and Sunday and veggies on Thursday

Feeding Your Fish

Hello D...

Frozen foods are very good and have no additives that prolong the shelf life of a product. These additives aren't necessarily good for your fish and can create water chemistry problems. Flaked foods generally contain phosphate, another additive and when it dissolves in the tank water, you can have algae problems.

I feed mostly frozen. Bloodworms, beef heart, plankton, krill, brine and mysis shrimp are all good. Get the kind with just the frozen animal and moisture (water).

B

Back
Top Bottom