New 46 Gallon Bow Front need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJandTrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just bought a 46 gallon bow front on Craigslist to further expand my hobby. I have 36 gallon bow front that just got a established. Its your run-of-the-mill community tank. I want to do something different, and cool, with this new 46 gallon. I'm relatively new to the hobby but have learned a lot and I'm excited.

So my question is can anyone give me some direction on where to go with this tank? Thought about cichlids but I don't know if I'm ready for them yet. Also contemplated giving saltwater a try, but don't really have the money for that right now with another tank up and coming as well.

Any advice n direction would be much appreciated

If you can spend some money in saltwater if definitely recommend going that route.

Super basic setup (can start off FOWLR then go to reef):
- Aquaclear or any other filter rated twice the size of your tank ($40)
-50+ lbs dry rock-$70-100
-sand-$30
-salt-$20
-RO or RO/DI water from LFS
-heater-$20
-hydrometer-$10
-light-$20-300+ depending on if you want to keep coral and what type.
Check Craigslist for deals/online sales

A brackish tank or a high light heavily planted are options. There's nothing wrong with a challenge, maybe chiclids would be interesting like you mentioned.

Do you know your tap ph?
Cichlids would be cool.
Or killifish
You could do a specific biotype. Have you thought about that?

So a few updates. What I thought was juat a tank and stand ended up coming with a Coralife 96 watt 6700k hood. Looks a little older but I have no idea. Anyone know what model this is or what I can grow with it? Im hoping it was a good find. Im still learning about the equipment.

ForumRunner_20130513_191548.jpg

ForumRunner_20130513_191620.jpg

As far as my tap params I pull a pH of 8.0 and nothing else. We also have fairly hard water. I use natural driftwood in my 36 gallon to help buffer that down to about a 7.6. From what research I've done it seems I have fairly perfect water for a Mbuna cichlid tank. However also from my reading I feel like the 46 bow front might not be long enough.

Ive really been thinking about doing this 46 as an angel tank. I really like the fish. I wanted to do that in my first tank but decided against it after moving the Betta in there. Any thoughts on an angel tank?

I'm still open to the SW idea but I just don't know anything about it. I barely know enough about FW to get by. Just enough to be dangerous. Guess I'll be reading more tonight. Thanks for all the help! Any suggestions are appreciated!

I havent really thought about a biotope but I've read about it some. Basically you pick an environment and try to recreate it as closely as possible? It sounds like a pretty neat idea. Are there any resources/guides on different tank biotopes?

Cleaned and ready to go. Also found out that my LFS has their biggest sale of the year next week!!! Basically everything 50% off, plus I get an extra 10% for my VIP membership. So I might be in trouble. Need to get this tank planned. Feel free to throw out any input! So many possibilities with this blank canvas!

ForumRunner_20130513_210441.jpg

ForumRunner_20130513_210505.jpg

Haha! your son is cute! :lol:
A biotype is pretty much what you said, yeah, but you generally try to make the tank look like nature, so no humanish decor like neon blue plants :)banghead:), lego decorations, etc.
I would do an african valley rift lake biotype. It is good for your water, nice for your son to watch, everyone else will love it, it isn't too hard, the fish can be small, and you could plan it quickly.

I don't know much about african rift valley lakes (such as lake malawi, tanganyika, victoria) because honestly, I have only done 1 fish tank (in my signature) but I know a TON about a bunch of different types of fish. I know that one technique is to basically overstock it on purpose (I don't know why), but I don't like this idea because you have to do more water changes. I DO know that these fish don't tolerate plants and often kill them, so no plants. I bet some of the shell dwelling fish from tanganyika and malawi would be really cool for your son.

I just got an idea of the coolest fish that you could possibly get that is perfectly tailored to your params. An Archer fish. There is an animal olympics archer fish video on youtube that is awesome (in a hurry, can't get link for ya, sorry :( ), but you should check out some of the smaller varieties. I don't know if they can be kept in that size tank. Some of the smaller ones stay small enough.
heres the url
Archer Fish Water Pistol - Weird Nature - BBC - YouTube

So a few updates. What I thought was juat a tank and stand ended up coming with a Coralife 96 watt 6700k hood. Looks a little older but I have no idea. Anyone know what model this is or what I can grow with it? Im hoping it was a good find. Im still learning about the equipment.

View attachment 173509

View attachment 173510

As far as my tap params I pull a pH of 8.0 and nothing else. We also have fairly hard water. I use natural driftwood in my 36 gallon to help buffer that down to about a 7.6. From what research I've done it seems I have fairly perfect water for a Mbuna cichlid tank. However also from my reading I feel like the 46 bow front might not be long enough.

Ive really been thinking about doing this 46 as an angel tank. I really like the fish. I wanted to do that in my first tank but decided against it after moving the Betta in there. Any thoughts on an angel tank?

I'm still open to the SW idea but I just don't know anything about it. I barely know enough about FW to get by. Just enough to be dangerous. Guess I'll be reading more tonight. Thanks for all the help! Any suggestions are appreciated!

Anyone have any thoughts on this lamp? My LFS has a huge sale this weekend and trying to stock up on things I need. Thanks!

Not sure if it's your thing, but you could make a pretty sweet paludarium with that tank.

Back
Top Bottom