New 46g tank, seeking advise for you all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahboy22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm new to the group, it is because of this site that insipre me to pull the trigger to start my new hobby. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy Just got my 46G bowfront fish tank(used). I am here to seek so advice& opinions for potential tankmates. The tank that I got came with 1 albino cory(2"), 1 pictus cat(2"), 1 trinidad pleco(4") & 1 Horse-Faced Loach(3").

I was considering some fishes such as:
6~8 Green Cobra guppies
6~8 Cardinal Tetras
6 Lyretail Swordtails
2 Kissing Gouramis or Dwaft Gouramis

I am cycling the water now with the 4 fish that came with the tank in it. The tank comes with a whisper 60 power filter. I am also considering adding either a penguin 350 or a emperor 400. Since this is my first setup, I didn't want to spent too much money on wet/dry filter or canister. Appreciate any 2cents from anyone, thanks in advance.

You should be fine with just the Whisper 60, I have one on my 55g and its actually a pretty strong filter. Plus, you can get replacement carts (generic) from BigAls $12 for 24. Get a master test kit and don't add any more fish until the tank is cycled. Once it is, just make sure you stick with community fish that will stay relatively small. Good luck!

Well, catfish and loaches are really not good fish for going through a cycle. They are more delicate than many of the other fish. I understand that they came with the tank but the ammonia and nitrite spikes can be fatal for them. A big reason that this might happen is the amount of waste that the pleco creates. You should do frequent water changes, just don't really mess with the gravel or filter.

Why is the tank going through a cycle if the fish were living in it? did you drain the tank completely dry or something? what are your ammonia and NO2 levels?

The fish were bagged in large ziploc individually. The water from the tank were 95% drain. The gravel were still soaked in with fish tank water during the move. I don't have a test kit yet, I'll get one after I get off work today. ThankYou all for your feedback. Appreciate it! :D

All the beneficial bacteria is stored in the rocks and decorations and not the water. I doubt you'll have an ammonia spike problem.

how long has the media in the filter been used? if for a long time without getting changed then you should be fine :)

O2 depletion might have killed some of the bactera but most likely not all of it.. if the move was quick then your probibly fine...

You probably wont see a cycle if you are using all the old rock/filter media. Keep an eye on your ammo/nitrites just incase.
As for the fish, when you are sure that your water is stable, I would start out with a few more corys. They are much happier in groups, and I am not totally sure but I think the same goes for the loaches.

The move took about 35 min & no more that 1 hour to setup the tank back. I used NutraFin Cycle when I fill-up the tank. I took some water sample from my tank to a local fish store & ask them to test my water during the weekend. PH = 7.5, Ammonia = 0, NO2= 20ppm. The fish store suggest me to put like 2 guppies in it but I politely decline, because the guppies there were not that good looking IMO. Should I wait for a couple more days or weeks?

Oh, I forgot the media in the filter were brand spanking new when I got it. The previous owner disposed the old ones & put the new ones in.

Back
Top Bottom