new 5.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a 5.5 that is cutrrently being used a s a growout for assasin snails but thay are a good size and will be going to the pet store for credit soon (50 cents a peice doesnt seem like much but when you have 20+ it ads up). That leaves me with a cycled 5.5 gal with nothing but a hood (single socket screw-in type) a filter (aqua-tech 5-15) and a heater. I know I want it planted but nothing that would envolve CO2. Now I'm left with a few questions...

What kind of light should I use? With that hood I could easily go with a 10w coral life 50/50 or a 10-15w 6500k CFL but idk what would work best.

What type of substrate should I use? Should I go straight flourite or would soil capped with sand work better?

And last but not least there's the stock. Would a single paradise fish be ok in a 5.5 or should i stick with a betta? Would either get along with RCS?

Any input from anyone that has experiance with small tanks would be greatly appreciated since I haven"t had anything smaller than a 20 since I was a child

No, a paradise fish can get up to 4" and would need at least a 20 gal just for one. I'd stick with a betta. It'll depend on the betta's temperament on whether he/she will tolerate the shrimp.

Oh well I've been wanting a new betta anyway. Anybody have any suggestions about lighting or substrate?

Try a dwarf puffer!!!!!! Talk with "Terrance" he is helpful
+1 to post above

Could try a male and 2 female guppies?(idk)

Water wisteria is an easy plant and cool,I would do soil capped with sand

SOMEONE ELSE ANSWER! I CAN'T HELP HIM SO SOMEONE ELSE COME HERE!
And I think something specific I have all sand in mine

In a tank that small I'd get a commercial substrate like Eco-complete as it will grow plants well without the mess of trying to do soil in such a small tank. The 2 Fluval Edge tanks we have are Eco-complete substrated. I can't help much on lights for such a small tank but in our 6g Edges we have Ambulia, Water Sprite, Dwarf Sag, Bolbitus, Java Fern Wendilov, and Crypt Parva.

In a tank that small I'd get a commercial substrate like Eco-complete as it will grow plants well without the mess of trying to do soil in such a small tank. The 2 Fluval Edge tanks we have are Eco-complete substrated. I can't help much on lights for such a small tank but in our 6g Edges we have Ambulia, Water Sprite, Dwarf Sag, Bolbitus, Java Fern Wendilov, and Crypt Parva.

There's the guy-gal I wanted to pick up!

Thanks rivercats! Now about the lighting...

I'm not good at all when it comes to lighting small tanks as I tend to go with larger tanks. Our little tanks had lights included. My best advice is to post what type of lighting would be best for that size planted tank on the Planted tank forum. There are alot of people on there that have small planted tanks.

Try the Planted Tank area for help with lights, etc. IT'll depend on how high or low tech you want to go. If you just want some plants but don't want to get into ferts or Co2, you could sick with low-light plants and just about any light would work as long as it doesn't get into the realm of high-light (which would mean needing CO2 and ferts). There's also little need for special substrate, maybe just some root tabs. I have regular sand in my 10 gal betta tank with swords, java fern, moss and water wisteria and it just has the LED light it came with and the plants grow fine.

Thanks for the advice. I've definitely narrowed my options, now to the planted tank forum to work out the specifics of the lighting and ideas on good plants for a tank of this size.

Back
Top Bottom