New 5 Gallon Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ethancherry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just decided to invest about a hundred dollars in a high-quality 5 gallon fish tank... Right now I am have the following installed in my aquarium:

-Empty Glass 5 gallon tank
-Fluorescent lighting
-Marina s10 filter
-Tetra 50w heater
-Simple thermometer

I have black gravel, three plants, a marimo ball, a orange/yellow shell, and large orange stone with a hole in it; so I have several hiding places for my fish.

I am currently housing 5 male guppies, (which are doing just fine, given the occasional [yet rare] picking on each other a little bit), and 3 ghost shrimp (which are totally cool, and one is pregnant).

The aquarium has been running for about 4 days now, and everything is running smoothly, but I do have a few questions.

I plan on getting a female betta fish as well as a zebra snail... is this overcrowding my tank? Will the betta be okay with the guppies/shrimp?

I haven't checked them yet, but everything seems to be normal... I knew about cycling before, and consulted my local pet store. They gave me some of their cycled water and said it would be fine for beginning fish in a couple of a days. I just got my fish two days ago.

Using "cycled water" unfortunately won't do anything for establishing a biological filter. You got some bad advice from your LFS which is unfortunate, but very common.

Do you have a test kit? 2 days is probably long enough for the ammonia to have risen into the danger zone.

The beneficial bacteria created during a cycle do not live in the tank water, but in the filter. The water they gave you will have no effect. Once again, bad advice from a LFS. :(

I do not have a test kit right now, but I plan on going to the pet store on Tuesday. What ammonia level is in "the danger zone?"

Also, thanks for the quick responses... I hope my fish will be okay!

Any ammonia is toxic to fish. The link fort384 posted will answer a lot of your questions.

Anything over 0.25 ppm ammonia is bad.

Take a look at the thread I linked you to. It will explain all of this.

For a test kit, go with the liquid test kits rather than the dip strips. They are far more accurate. Most often recommended here is the API FW master kit. It is widely available and has every basic test you need for a new aquarium.

Just read through it... what would you advise me to do at this point?

I doubt it. Just do a 50% PWC today, and another tomorrow. It won't take but a few minutes on a small tank. This way you are cutting the ammonia levels at least in half, until you can get the kit and know the exact levels.

Oops, didn't realize PWC meant partial water change... I thought it had something to do with the test kit that I would be getting on Tuesday. I did a 30% yesterday, so should I just do another 30 or so percent for today?

Alright, will do... Thanks for the help.

As to the snail and betta, once the tank is fully cycled do you think I could downsize from 5 guppies to 3, and then get the snail and the betta?

Maybe even downsize from 3 shrimp to 2?

The shrimp won't matter... they are almost 0 bioload.

As for the guppies, I don't really think a 5 gal tank is an appropriately sized tank for them... and they don't mix well with bettas. Bettas tend to see their long fins and mistake them for other bettas, and could harass them.

If you are set on a betta, take the guppies back.

A 5 gal is a good size tank for a single betta and some shrimp... I am not sure I would add other fish.

I am not sure on the ADFs, I have never kept them. It sounds like it might work out ok, but I would start a new thread, a stocking thread, and ask about that. You will get more opinions from folks who have kept them.

Back
Top Bottom