New 5 gallon tank, questions about the animals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rainbows

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my first aquarium a few days ago and today I put in the first inhabitants; four mystery snails and a marimo. I don't yet have any fish, but I was thinking of getting some guppies or tetras.

Question one is; are there any harmless aquatic bugs I can put in, like pond skaters or backswimmers? Or will any kind of water bug be a problem?

Second questions; when my snails start reproducing, at what point should I include some kind of population control like a loach or assassin snail?

I set up my first aquarium a few days ago and today I put in the first inhabitants; four mystery snails and a marimo. I don't yet have any fish, but I was thinking of getting some guppies or tetras.

Question one is; are there any harmless aquatic bugs I can put in, like pond skaters or backswimmers? Or will any kind of water bug be a problem?

Second questions; when my snails start reproducing, at what point should I include some kind of population control like a loach or assassin snail?

No tetras or loaches. The only fish I would really add would be a beta.
As for bugs, I know pond skaters sting ( first hand I right there) so I really don't know any.
First question, did you cycle the tank?

What does cycle the tank mean? The woman at the store said to let the tank run on its own for a little while before adding anything. Is that what you mean?

O gosh. You need To cycle a tank before put fish in it. The cycle process is the process of growing beneficial bacteria, to do this you need to have an ammonia source. Now all fish produce, poop, ammonia. You need NitrItes to eat ammonia but NitrItes are highly toxic to fish. So you need NitrAtes to eat NitrItes. Now ammonia and nitrItes should be kept below 0.2 ppm and preferably 0 ppm. NitrAtes should be kept below 40 ppm preferably 20. You need to do weekly water changes and to now your levels you need a test kit. A test kit tests the bacteria levels. I recommend the API master freshwater test kit.

Alright, I'll hold off on fish before I do that. I did throw in algae tablets to give the snails something to eat as well as live plants. The tank did come with a little testing bottle and the store said I can bring water in and have it tested there.

I also had a third question that I forgot to mention. I live in a desert and if for some reason my AC breaks or the power goes out or some other thing causes the tank to overheat, what can I do to keep it cool?

For now, my stock plan is to have hardy animals with simple needs, something easy enough for a beginner. That's why I was thinking guppies, I read that their pretty hardy.

Don't tap water ice cubes need to be treated for chlorine?

Correct they are hardy and are good beginner fish. But just be ready if you get males and females that your ready for babies and have more space for them, another name for a guppy is a million fish.

Sry your correct if you have your own well then the don't have to be treated. I guess you could always treat them though. Sry I have my own well an not to experienced with that situation.

Yeah, I heard about that. I was gonna just get about three females cause all boys might nip at each other. In that case, how can I tell if a girl is pregnant? I don't want any babies so I want to make sure I don't buy one that's already gravid.

You will basically never find a non pregnant female Guppy. Aside from that, a 5g tank is too small for anything but a betta.

You could also do some fresh water shrimp in a tank that size which would satisfy your desire for bug like creatures. I'll post a link to a cycling guide when I get on a computer.

I just noticed something this morning. One of the golden mystery snails has a short, hairline crack on its underside that I didn't see when I bought it. The snail's acting perfectly normal, it's actually the most active of the four, but it still worried me. It there something I can give it to help it heal, like calcium, or will it be alright on its own?

Hmm. I don't really want a betta...maybe I'll just get a bigger tank and keep the little one in case a fish gets sick and needs to be isolated. Would that be a good use for a five gallon? Or would it still be too small? I measured where the main one would go and its about 2.5ft by 2.5ft, enough for a 15 gallon I think.

Would the shape of a tank have any effect? I know jellyfish can only be in round tanks but I don't expect to have one of those! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom