Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New 50 gallon!

Just bought a new 50 gallon long! I love it already ! And I'm doing a fish in cycle. So I bought Some rosy minnows. There's maybe 10 of them in there. Did I go over board? Also I used pool filter sand as my substrate. I rinsed it through a pillow case for about an hour. It's still cloudy and it's been about 3 hours. I'll post some pics. But I'd love some advice from all you experts out there on anything from substrate to filtration and fish. I'll post some pics so you can get a better idea of where im at! Also this is my first large tank. So wish me luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here it is! Did I go overboard on the minnows?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4210999767.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	129761

Name:	image-2802804083.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	129762

Name:	image-2109844423.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	129763

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA! You did not go over board! Sometimes it takes a day or so to get the stuff to settle. A pillow case doesn't let all the little stuff go through. I put my gravel or sand in a bucket and then stir it, drain the water and do it again, and again! It still goes cloudy for awhile. Good luck with your cycle. And no you didn't get to many minnows!!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to rinse the sand one more time if it doesn't settle in a few days. But my filter is off. Do you think I'll need a bigger one? I mean I'm only using this one for the cycle. But will I need a new one? And will it mess me up when the cycle is ended? The filter is an aquaclear 70.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4131321542.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	129765   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1262418834.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	129766  

Name:	image-641733306.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	129767  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I understand correctly you want to use the filter while you cycle so that the beneficial bacteria build up in the filter media. This will keep your tank cycled.

I like Aquaclear filters, I run a 70 on my 29g. For your tank I might go with a 110 if you want to stick with the HOB type of filter.Just my opinions. Good Luck with your tank!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will have to check the new filter and see if it is strong enough for the size tank you have. Have you been checking your pH and so forth? I don't know what pool filter sand it.
Is it made for aquariums? I am using stones. About what fish you want: research!! There are so many sites to check this out, but after you choose a list, post it on here, and let the folks who are experienced with those species tell you what happened to them! I started with blue paradise and blue guramis (can not spell that!!!) What a mess! I am down to all tetras and have a colorful, peaceful tank.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! That helps a lot as far as filtration goes!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina
You will have to check the new filter and see if it is strong enough for the size tank you have. Have you been checking your pH and so forth? I don't know what pool filter sand it.
Is it made for aquariums? I am using stones. About what fish you want: research!! There are so many sites to check this out, but after you choose a list, post it on here, and let the folks who are experienced with those species tell you what happened to them! I started with blue paradise and blue guramis (can not spell that!!!) What a mess! I am down to all tetras and have a colorful, peaceful tank.
Well pool filter sand is not generally made for aquariums. However a lot of hobbyists use it because it looks nice and is less abrasive than play sand. It's also a lot cheaper than buying sand at a pet store l. They overcharge for sand. I can take a picture if you wanna see the brand I got!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasina View Post

Also my pH is at about 7.6! The fish I want to put in there is a pictus cat, tiretrack eel, goldfish, gourami, and a pleco! Hopefully the water will be safe enough for them by the time the cycle ends!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a good idea to put goldfish with tropical fish. Their temp requirements are much different. I would stick with the tropicals.

Tags
50 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com