New 50 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought a new 50 gallon long! I love it already ! And I'm doing a fish in cycle. So I bought Some rosy minnows. There's maybe 10 of them in there. Did I go over board? Also I used pool filter sand as my substrate. I rinsed it through a pillow case for about an hour. It's still cloudy and it's been about 3 hours. I'll post some pics. But I'd love some advice from all you experts out there on anything from substrate to filtration and fish. I'll post some pics so you can get a better idea of where im at! Also this is my first large tank. So wish me luck!

Welcome to AA! You did not go over board! Sometimes it takes a day or so to get the stuff to settle. A pillow case doesn't let all the little stuff go through. I put my gravel or sand in a bucket and then stir it, drain the water and do it again, and again! It still goes cloudy for awhile. Good luck with your cycle. And no you didn't get to many minnows!!

Thanks! I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to rinse the sand one more time if it doesn't settle in a few days. But my filter is off. Do you think I'll need a bigger one? I mean I'm only using this one for the cycle. But will I need a new one? And will it mess me up when the cycle is ended? The filter is an aquaclear 70.

Attachments

• image-4131321542.jpg
    image-4131321542.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1262418834.jpg
    image-1262418834.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image-641733306.jpg
    image-641733306.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 57
If I understand correctly you want to use the filter while you cycle so that the beneficial bacteria build up in the filter media. This will keep your tank cycled.

I like Aquaclear filters, I run a 70 on my 29g. For your tank I might go with a 110 if you want to stick with the HOB type of filter.Just my opinions. Good Luck with your tank!

You will have to check the new filter and see if it is strong enough for the size tank you have. Have you been checking your pH and so forth? I don't know what pool filter sand it.
Is it made for aquariums? I am using stones. About what fish you want: research!! There are so many sites to check this out, but after you choose a list, post it on here, and let the folks who are experienced with those species tell you what happened to them! I started with blue paradise and blue guramis (can not spell that!!!) What a mess! I am down to all tetras and have a colorful, peaceful tank.

thomasina said:
You will have to check the new filter and see if it is strong enough for the size tank you have. Have you been checking your pH and so forth? I don't know what pool filter sand it.
Is it made for aquariums? I am using stones. About what fish you want: research!! There are so many sites to check this out, but after you choose a list, post it on here, and let the folks who are experienced with those species tell you what happened to them! I started with blue paradise and blue guramis (can not spell that!!!) What a mess! I am down to all tetras and have a colorful, peaceful tank.

Well pool filter sand is not generally made for aquariums. However a lot of hobbyists use it because it looks nice and is less abrasive than play sand. It's also a lot cheaper than buying sand at a pet store l. They overcharge for sand. I can take a picture if you wanna see the brand I got!

Also my pH is at about 7.6! The fish I want to put in there is a pictus cat, tiretrack eel, goldfish, gourami, and a pleco! Hopefully the water will be safe enough for them by the time the cycle ends!

Not a good idea to put goldfish with tropical fish. Their temp requirements are much different. I would stick with the tropicals.

Ok! I guess I'll leave him in the ten gallon! Thanks, could I maybe put cichlids in there as well?

What kind of gold fish? Some get vey large and need a large tank otherwise their growth will be stunted.
I don't about keeping cichlids with the other fish you listed. It depends on what kind of cichlids. You need a book that gives all the water parameters and tank sizes for fish. That way you can look up fish individually and see if they are community fish and if they will work in your tank.
A lot of people keep cichlid only tanks so that is something to think about. Cichlids are very beautiful but different ones need different water paramters or will fight/kill tankmates etc. There are some fish profiles on this site, I recommend reading them. I have had fish off and on for about 20 years and I still research each and every purchase I make even if its just snails.

I believe he is a comet goldfish. How about some Bolivian Rams? Or German blue Rams? I am really looking to add some color and personality!

German blues are sensitive and should be put in a mature tank from what I have read. Not sure how delicate the Bolivians are. As I said before you need to look these fish up and research them to make sure they can live together

brennae said:
German blues are sensitive and should be put in a mature tank from what I have read. Not sure how delicate the Bolivians are. As I said before you need to look these fish up and research them to make sure they can live together

That's what I read about German blues. I don't think I'll go straight for bolivian rams either.

Anyway I rinsed my sand again today because it was really cloudy. I mean super cloudy. After I finished I noticed the tank still isn't perfectly clear but it looks 100% better. Will I have to rinse again in about a week?

Also my pH is at about 7.6. I wanted to lower the pH. Anybody know how I can do that?

image-3521202005.jpg

Here's a pic of my water. You can tell its still a little cloudy.

Just measured my dimensions for what I thought was a 50 gallon long! It turns out that it's a 60 gallons! Lol score :D

Back
Top Bottom