New 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Chrono

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picking up a 55 gallon this weekend and want to know suggestions on stocking. I've been playing with the idea of doing a Cichlid tank but the only experience I have with them is dwarf ram species. What do you all suggest? African or new world cichlids? Or should I do something completely different?

How much successful experience do you have with aquariums?

I understand that cichlids are much more demanding than "regular" FW community fish. With enough research and effort, you may be able to pull it off even if you're relatively new.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Do a mbuna cichlid tank, mbunas can be very aggressive towards other fish but some have great colours!

Provide white or black sand with lots of rocks or decorations (rocks preferred) and you should be good.

Some mbuna species are:

Electric yellow lab cichlid
Ice blue zebra cichlid
Red zebra cichlid
Albino peacock cichlid
Bumblebee cichlid
Orange zebra cichlid
Black and white mbuna cichlid
Purple mbuna cichlid
Kenyi cichlid
And more!

There are lots to choose from and they're all really cool!

How much successful experience do you have with aquariums?

I understand that cichlids are much more demanding than "regular" FW community fish. With enough research and effort, you may be able to pull it off even if you're relatively new.

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I've kept aquariums for a few years, just recently moved somewhere that I can finally set up a bigger tank and want to give cichlids a go.

Do a mbuna cichlid tank, mbunas can be very aggressive towards other fish but some have great colours!

Provide white or black sand with lots of rocks or decorations (rocks preferred) and you should be good.

Some mbuna species are:

Electric yellow lab cichlid
Ice blue zebra cichlid
Red zebra cichlid
Albino peacock cichlid
Bumblebee cichlid
Orange zebra cichlid
Black and white mbuna cichlid
Purple mbuna cichlid
Kenyi cichlid
And more!

There are lots to choose from and they're all really cool!

I've been doing my research this week and pretty sure I've settled on mbuna. They just seem like the best choice for what I want to do.

I've kept aquariums for a few years, just recently moved somewhere that I can finally set up a bigger tank and want to give cichlids a go.

Oh, that's good. I'd hate see a newbie jump into the hobby by choosing a more demanding species.. :)

That's the kind of thing *I* am prone to do.

Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Back
Top Bottom