New 55 gal with sand substrate problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhawkercp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just set up my first 55 gal tank (the sheer volume of water in my home is slightly intimidating). Well I decided I wanted to do a sand substrate but now the water is slightly milky. I rinsed the sand over and over and over before I added and didn't add it to the tank until the water would be clear in the bucket almost immediately after stirring up the sand. Did I still not rinse it enough? Could it be something else? I have the canister filter going and hopefully that will clear it up but would appreciate suggestions.

You can avoid some of the clouding in a tank with letting the water run slowly over a plate or bowl. It will clear but it will take awhile. I usually do a water change a couple of times. I have never had much of a problem with sand it is usually fluorite that is worse for me.

Just do some water changes, maybe about 40-50% everyday for around a week, water should start clearing up. Sometime it won't matter how much you clean the sand, it will still make the water cloudy for a little while. Just give it sometime, and the cloudiness should go away.

filter floss or polyfill in your filter will help to polish the water aswell, combined with Bens suggestion it will be clear in no time

Back
Top Bottom