new 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris127

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys. i would like to start up a 55 gallon tank i bought off of craigslist. i cleaned the tank and got a new filter. i wana start to get it cycling. what should i do to start the process?

so is that method better than putting some feeder fish in it?

Absolutely. I am a firm believer in "fishless cycling." Aside from being more humane, it it far more forgiving if and when mistakes are made, (and they will be made by all of us). It also gives more leaveway to accelarate the process without harm. In addition, it will enable you to create a bioload sufficient to initially add more fish offering less stress for them. There are many great articles on this process and it actually is not difficult.

Look at it this way: You wouldn't think of bringing home a new kitten and locking it in a closet with a litter box, forcing it to live in it's own waste. That is what happens when using fish to cycle, and although not impossible, is very difficult to control without loss.

Part of this great hobby, IMO, is to provide a healthy and hopefully happy enviornment for our finned friends, one they might not otherwise experience in the wild, and if done properly, will repay us with hours, days and years of joy.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for advice. This is a great forum for that.

Bob R

Definitely cycle without fish! It's the only way to do it. Check out the link in my signature that talks about it. It's super easy, and really gives you a crash course on testing for all the related chemicals in a tank. Have you thought about what kind of tank you plan on making this into? Species, community, cichlid, Planted or not (I recommend planted). I suggest taking pictures and making a log of te tank's progress as you put it together and make changes. You will really enjoy looking back on them later :)

sweet thanks alot for all the info!

i used to cycle my tanks with feeder minnows (gambusia) that really never died on me and when i was done i released them into my(private, landlocked) pond with all the other gambusia that already existed there.

but the fishless way does seem more humane and simple, i just didnt know it could be done!

There's links in my sig for the Nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling. If you haven't read these, they'll explain everything you need to know to get started.

There are four basic ways to cycle an aquarium.

1. With Fish - Generally exposes Fish to high levels of Ammonia and Nitrite which causes long term harm that isn't necessarily visible. Lots of water changes are required to help keep the fish safe if this method is used.
2. Fishless Cycle - Pure Ammonia or a Raw Shrimp is added to provide a source of Ammonia and allow the aquarium to cycle. Temp can be raised to speed up the process and levels can be allowed to go higher since there are no fish to be harmed.
3. Instant Cycle - Steal some filter media from an established aquarium to seed the beneficial bacteria. If enough is added the aquarium will be instantly cycled, with slightly less the time is usually cut down to a few days to a couple weeks.
4. Silent Cycle - The aquarium is heavily planted and the plants are allowed a couple of weeks to settle in and start growing. Fish are then slowly added. Since plants consume Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate, when done properly there will never be detectable levels of Ammonia or Nitrite.

Do your research and determine which is best for your situation depending on your goals and what you have available.

Back
Top Bottom