New 55 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im starting my 55 gallon freshwater community tank and i am doing a fishless cycle now for about 2 and a half weeks. I havent checked any of the levels yet. Basically what im wondering is what should my levels be at with my fish that'd i like to put in the tank. Im also wondering if the fish that ive chosen would be a suitable living enviroment or if the fish are compatable with each other.
1. Some type of ram(1-2)
2. Rhino pleco(1)
3. Zebra botia or skunk botia(2)
4. Cherry barb or red glass barb(3)
5. Red tail shark(1)
6. Angel(1)
7. Possibly a long fin tetra(2-3) maybe a different kind of tetra
8. Betta
9. Fruit tetra(3)
Would all of these fish be ok in the same tank together? Also im posting pictures of the tank to show if theres enough swimming room and hiding places for the fish. Thank you for reading this and any comments would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 403.jpg
    403.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 404.jpg
    404.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 79
I would honestly bail on the Rhino Pleco to much waste. I would get a smaller one like a Bristlenose or Green Phantom Pleco. Then I would lower your fish choices and increase school sizes and i dont like angelfish so i wouldnt reccomend them they are very boring IMO. Also i wouldn't get a betta he's gonna get nipped by your barbs my stock would be something like.

3-Bolivian Rams 1 male 2 female
1- BN or Green Phantom Pleco
6 -Red Glass Barbs
6-Cherry Barbs
4- Zebra Loaches
1 -Red Tailed Shark
6- Long Fin Serpae Tetras
6- Black Skirt Tetras or Fruit Tetras I just don't buy those since I don't like buying dyed fish its unhealthy and they don't live that long IMO. But you can get whatever you want there whether it be Black Skirts or the Fruit Tetras.

Btw your tank looks nice and good luck with it.

I really like that rhino pleco but if he leaves to much waste then ill get a different one. I havent looked to much into plecos but ill look into the one's you reccomended. I really like angel fish and have never owned one so i want to stick with one if i can... I dont have a problem not having the betta. I own a 15 gallon tank and i have all tetras in it including the black skirt so i may just have to stay away from the black skirt and the fruit tetra. With the list you just gave me dont you think that's pushing the limits on how much fish i have in my tank? Thanks too about the tank and the info

Why wouldnt the angel or red tail shark work?

I would say if you really do a angel I would drop the rams. The red tailed shark just might stress out the angel to much by chasing it and harassing it a bit to much. Also I wouldn't get red glass barbs or Serpae tetras since they will nip your angel. You could get a rhino Pleco it's just they produce lots of waste and will really narrow down your options you could get

2-Angefish
1-Rhino Pleco
5-Zebra Loaches
6- Cherry Barbs or tetras

Or with out Rhiino Pleco

2- Angelfish
1- BN or other small Pleco
5- Zebra Loaches
6- cherry barbs
6- tetras whatever type except serapes or black skirts should be fine

And yes I think my other list was a bit to many fish that was my bad.

Ok. That really limits my choices with the angel. I guess ill just avoid gettting the angel and probally go with something you said without the angel. Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Your welcome I would look into gouramis honestly you could do a single 3 spot gourami with something like this
1- Gold Gourami
1- Rhino Pleco
5- Zebra Loaches
6 cherry barbs
6- Tetras of your choice

or something like

1- Gold Gourami
1- BN or smaller pleco
5- Zebra Loaches
6 cory catfish of your choice
6- Cherry Barbs
6- Tetras of your choice

Just another idea here

What if I went with something like this.
1. 3 Bolivian rams (1 male and 2 female)
2. 1 BN or some type of small pleco
3. 1 or 2 gourami (possibly a flame dwarf, gold, or powder blue)
4. 3 zebra loaches
5. 6 type of tetras ( haven't decided what kid I want yet)
6. 6 cherry barbs
Do you think that would work?

OP:

What is that piece of decor as your centerpiece...is it a sunken submarine ruin?

Back
Top Bottom