Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New 55 Gallon Community

So I have had a few Cichlid tanks in the past but this time around I want to try my hand at a community tank. I have decided for sure that I want to do a school of rummy nose tetras and I'll probably do a trio of oto catfish. I have been doing some research on bettas and there is a lot that says only one male in a tank, and you can house several females in a tank, but what about one male and several females in a tank?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Males are simply best kept alone (unless breeding), would likely hassle the females as much as another male. Given enough cover for the females to get away from the male it might work, but they wouldn't be happy.
Oto's are best suited to well-established planted tanks, not good in a new setup.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would never mix females with a male except for under close supervision during mating..and even then you have to be prepared for injury. Several females is even worse..they will likely gang up on him and tear him apart...I've heard of this happening more than once in a seemingly happy community. One day they just snap. Sure you'll hear some folks say they are doing it successfully...so far anyway IMO it is in no way worth the risk or stress to the fish.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the feedback sounds like I am going back to plan B

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, community

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com