New 55 gallon journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got the regulator, silonoid, precision needle valve, eheim 100 gallon filter, diy co2 diffuser, all the ferts and some extras from a cool fella off Craigslist for 165 and picked up the 55 at petco during the dollar per gallon WITH a ten dollar coupon!

I plan dirt and sand with a sand waterfall and really debating on my plant selection.

Can't wait, just need a stand

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry forgot pics

Attachments

• 1428530757198.jpg
    1428530757198.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 1428530770532.jpg
    1428530770532.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 113
So I know I can go buy play sand cheap but its always "sand color" is there a way to get some cheap black sand? I cant seem to find black play sand and not sure if there are any other suitable materials?
thanks.

Also Im planning on starting the dirt layer this week so I can sculpt my rocks and sand waterfall.
Im using an organic dirt from the depot thats like 10$ a 40lb bag. I wanted to post a pic and get some thoughts but I figured maybe I can just check levels for anything that might throw my water off. Should I expect the ammonia levels to spike from dirt? Remember there will be no fish for a while so I can fill the tank half up and soak the dirt then drain and continue if needed.

update already : foudn a tractor supply in my area with black diamond i plan on trying to grab this weekend.

I bought Tahitian black moon sand for like $25 for a 25 gallon bag's worth. A little expensive but great looking.

Guys I bought my miracle grow organic potting mix.
It says it feeds for 2 months. Is the soil worthless after that or will it still hold nutrients? Just wondering if its even worth it? I like the thought of it.

Second what color sand DO I WANT?

I like the black (black diamond) cause it really makes the colors and plants stand out yet the natural sand color is really nice and looks natural to.

I want to get what Im going to get this weekend to drop the dirt and cap it.

Looked at pics all over the web and just cant decide.

original post = 4/8

THIS is how far Ive been able to get. Right after getting this my GF told me she promised her family she rents her condo to that we would redo their bathroom.... nice to promise my services. Also what was supposed to be a weekend job has since turned into being 3/4 done since yesterday. This bathroom is one issue after another. Crappy 80s construction.

So basically I finally got the soil (about 1 - 1.5 inches deep) down. There really wasnt any large debre in it just TINY twigs so I said screw it and just put it in.

Then capped so far with about 1.5 to 2" of sand that still has to be leveled out. It pool filter sand and I found out 5 gallon paint strainers work exceptionally well for rinsing aquarium substrate.

IMG_20150502_115233.jpg

IMG_20150502_115205.jpg

IMG_20150502_121638.jpg

If you're doing a freshwater sand waterfall tank you should put a panther crab or 2 in there. They're pretty rare but I know certain places that have them like Aquariumfish.net.

If you're doing a freshwater sand waterfall tank you should put a panther crab or 2 in there. They're pretty rare but I know certain places that have them like Aquariumfish.net.

ive looked them up in the past, they are neat but NOTHING like that lasts as its usually eaten after it molts. I had really nice Japonica shrimp and they were big but eventually got eaten. I have actually been looking for a viper shrimp.
On the flip side when it gets big (or rather if) wouldnt I have to worry about my plants and fish being torn up?

working on my background this weekend. Just got my tint material from amazon last night.
Going to try a partial 3 backdrop accented with open spots of black and plants. Really want to go with some micro swords again.

Here's where I got today. Gotta put accent and finish coats on but also start the other prices and waterfall.

Lost my gourami today :(

Was cleaning the tank this morning and something spooked him while the water was low and he leapt out of the water and railed himself on my light. He knocked himself good and passed later in the day.

RIP Red Flame

Attachments

• 1431305189478.jpg
    1431305189478.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 1431305216118.jpg
    1431305216118.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 1431305313639.jpg
    1431305313639.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 273
added shadowing. This is still when the black was wet.
Looked at it this morning and its dulled down nicely. Looks good.
Now I have to add the red tints. Started carving out some pieces for my waterfall but I think Im gonna scrap them for a different design.

IMG_20150511_202748.jpg

IMG_20150511_202813.jpg

dont meant to keep posting but it doesnt let you edit after a certain time.
IMG_20150512_131502.jpg

STILL working on just the decor.

Here we go. The main piece is painted and I started working on the waterfall. The one all the way to the right is a spray foam piece I abandoned that WAS going to be the watefall but I just didnt think it matched. I honestly like the way it looks as a piece on its own but not for this. Ill put it to the side or just dump it. Unless someone wants it lol.

The non painted carvings are my new waterfall. Im just trying to figure out how to arrange them. Im also coming up with a couple idea so these pieces will weigh themselves in place without needing to be siliconed to the glass semi permanently.

I think my carving skills got a bit better and I was thinking of fixing a few of the stones on my first piece but then I also know Im attaching moss and plants to it so they will cover a bit of it anyway.

IMG_20150527_203553.jpg

I was thinking of actually getting some HEAVY duty suction cups and some plastic nuts and bolts form my local hardware store to suction the pieces on the glass.
Then I thought maybe attaching a bottom and weighing it with gravel.
Also just thought of siliconing a piece of stainless or something to the back and using that as a weight.
Right now the suction cups seem like the best idea. I just dont want to have to tear everything down to get the pieces out if something happens.

I think the coolest part of this tank that's going to last a long time is the fact YOU made a lot of what was in it. Not many people can say they made the decor in their tank.

Caleb

Here the water fall painted up

Attachments

• 1433024337719.jpg
    1433024337719.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 87
Wow an update that this tank still exists!!!!
Made the skeleton for my stand today.
I'm thinking of making it a pull out finished shell for front and sides and leaving the back open

Just high enough to put my canister under it. Hopefully my co2 canisters will fit and everything can be hidden.

Best part is all the 4x came free, 2x was lying around from other house jobs and brackets were lying around.
Could drive my truck up it!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1438570715011.jpg
    1438570715011.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom