New 55 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

A newbie here, I have had small 10 gallon tanks in the past but nothing in the past 5+ years.

I have just purchased the following:

All Glass/Tetra 55 Gallon Aquarium Kit
Perfecto Sedona Tank Stand

I have to thank people on this site as I saved a ton of money with buying my stand from Big Al's and using pool filter sand as a substrate instead of purchasing from the lfs. Which is information I have learned from reading posts here over the past couple weeks.

It has been almost 24 hours and the tanks temperature is 79 deg F and the heater and filter are up and running. There is no cloudiness in the water from adding water and sand to the tank. So I am hoping to start cycling soon.

I am waiting on my test kit and python from Big Al's at the moment. I have always cycled my earlier tanks with success using starter fish like barbs, danios, or tetras. But its been awhile and this is a larger tank so I am being cautious. I have read about fishless cycles and bio-spira but am thinking about sticking what has worked for me in the past.

My questions are as follows:

I havent added any decorations at this time, but is it ok to start cycling with starter fish and add decorations over time ?

In smaller tanks I just added a couple starter fish, in a 55 gallon tank how many should I add to start the cycle ?

If I choose a fishless cycle, can I start it prior to recieving my test kit ? I was thinking of just dropping a couple raw shrimp in there or is the ammonia method easier ?

Also is a background neccesary, my wife actually likes to see the red wall behind the tank or will it be too distracting ? I would hide the wiring, heater, and filter tube with some strategically placed tall plastic or silk plants.

This will eventually be a community tank and I found the link at elmers very helpful. I really like the Angel community #4, has anyone had good luck with this or a similar setup ?

I have a picture of day one of my tank setup in my gallery. I am very happy with the stand, it took my wife and I over a month to agree on a stand that will fit well in the new living room.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to AA and congratulations on getting started with your 55 gal tank.

Wait for the test kit, you will want to be fully prepared prior to adding fish and/or ammonia sources depending on whether you choose traditional or fishless cycling. If you've read a lot of info on fishless cycling, that is a preferred method since it will not create issues for your fish and you will not have to do as many PWC's. Once you decide on how you will cycle, it is better to stick with that particular method. I would toss some fish food in now just to get the cycle started. A background is good for the reasons you mention.

In regard to stocking, I like Elmer's suggestions but that's what they are...suggestions. You may have noticed that the Angel community you mentioned displays a lot of different fish but it didn't mention how many of each and also lacks info on specific tank sizes that will accomodate them.

If you do want an "angel" community, you will have to limit your stocking to 3-5 angels, 5-6 black skirt tetras, some corydoras and a small pleco such as a bristlenose, rubber-lip or bulldog pleco. There are a myriad of other stocking scenarios, just keep in mind that not all fish are compatible with all others based on a chart...other factors come into play as the fish get older and begin growing out.

Welcome:

As you know from reading posts - the fishless cycle is easier - less water changes, and no loss of fish (which can be expensive and stressful), but if you just don't want to wait - a fish cycle can be done.

PS I'm with your wife on the stand, LOVE IT
PSS Did Jchillin just recommend a pleco? (thats how I got 1. OK 2)

Thanks for replies.

I went ahead and put some platys in the tank and started cycling the tank. I know that fishless cycling is what most people feel I should have done, but this is the way I have done previous tanks. I work from home so finding time to monitor the tank and do pwc's as neccesary isnt a big deal for me.

Any suggestions to what would work well with the platys in the future ? I am still leaning on having 4-5 Angels and a couple of Gouramis as centerpiece fish. I forsee a Pleco of the smaller variety in my future, I love the look of the snowball pleco's on Dr. F&S site.

Any opinions or advice is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom