New 55G Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libbyb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a "new to me" 55 tank this past Sunday. I'm using the same filtration and media the guy had so that'll save me some time, I know. I haven't added plants yet cuz I need to get them on line. My LFS's are HORRIBLE. The ammonia is at 4ppm and the nitrate is nil. I didn't check nitrate. I have added 2 doses of biozyme which has worked for me in the past. Before I add fish, how often do I need to do PCW's?

Well I'm a little confused. Is this a SW or FW system you are setting up here? You state that you have not added "plants" yet so that is why I ask the question. What plants are you referring to if this is a SW tank?

Your tank is cycling right now. When you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes and measurable nitrAtes it's time for a substantial PWC and a CUC. Go to the article section of the site (in my signature) and read up about cycling your tank.

i'm sorry. it's a fw. The ammonia is still really high with no nitrites or nitrates. I have done 2 pwc so far and it has a tiny affect. I added plants the night b/4 last. b/c I read somewhere that it'll cycle faster in a heavily planted tank. I added an amazon sword and shamefully i forgot the others. what's a cuc?

I just got a "new to me" 55 tank this past Sunday. I'm using the same filtration and media the guy had so that'll save me some time, I know. I haven't added plants yet cuz I need to get them on line. My LFS's are HORRIBLE. The ammonia is at 4ppm and the nitrate is nil. I didn't check nitrate. I have added 2 doses of biozyme which has worked for me in the past. Before I add fish, how often do I need to do PCW's?

If your ammonia is 4 then you're into 50% every day territory. How many fish do you have in there at the moment? Presumably the filter dried out when you were moving the tank? If so then you're effectively starting from scratch with a 'new' filter.

Curious you said water changes have little effect. As by definition if your ammonia is 4 and you change half the water, if you check again immediately after than your ammonia will be 2! (It has to be, can't be anything else!). Do this simple test and see what happens - just to make sure your testing kit is ok!

Have fun!

I made sure that the filter didn't dry out. I kept it in with the fish when transporting them.

I think I added too much ammonia to start off. I was definitely doing at least 50% on average maybe once every 36 hours. I got it down to about .25 but I'm afraid of starving the bacteria. I have yet to see my nitrites or nitrates change.

I have no fish in there at the moment but I do have plants. I'm getting anxious b/c I'm getting algae and I want to get my plecos in there. I think I'm gonna start with my barbs though.

I've got the API master kit.

Back
Top Bottom