New 55g Tank; Is this everything I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manooosie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Shortly I will be purchasing a 55g tank. I started a thread in the sw forum that can be found here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=57371&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

However, it is appears that my budget of $400 (minus 225 for tank, stand and canopy leaving 175 for the rest) is not enough. I know throw myself at the fw experts. Here is what I can come up with for a fw setup.

$10- playsand at Home Depot
$16- 300w Submersible Heater(quick ebay search gave me this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7702732865&category=46311&rd=1. Will this be good enough?)
$30- Plant and rock decorations
$20- Water testing kit
$$30- Fish.

+106
=331

I know I still need some kind of filtration, but the opinions and prices about those vary widely. Is that all I will need? I am sure I am missing something...

[/b]

first off.. you really need to consider buying a used tank (it will save you a killing)
$225 for the tank 8O I wouldnt pay more then maybe $65 for a 55 gallon tank. (I sold one a couple of years ago for $55 dollars and if I were you I would see If I could find one for about that)
If your looking for fake plants look at e-bay again
I would spend a little more for the test kit and get the hagan (nutrifin) master kit from bigalsonine its about $40 but its very complete
you will need more sand then you might think but it shouldnt get over $20 if its playsand (check for the ammount youll need with the site calculator)
you could also buid the stand but I would try to compare the lumber prices and the price of stands you can find to see if you will actually save any money.

The price of the filtration will really depend on what kind of livestock and how much you will be keeping.. so you need to deside that before looking too far into selection..
Hope this Helps

Yea that helps. the 225 is for a new tank, stand, and canopy. Which fish do you reccomend?

that really depends on what you like/want
what is your waters natural PH and KH? if you can find that out it would be helpfull to me at least in suggesting something..

For picking fish you may want to see if you can find this book:
"The Aquarium Fish Handbook" by Dick Mills & Derek Lambert. It is loaded with information on about every species you can think of. I am stocking a new 55 soon and this book has helped me to decide what I want.
Greenmagi is right about the test kit too. I would plan on spending as much as $50 bucks on a test kit. When I first started myself one LFS owner told me I didn't need anything to test ammonia. He was wrong. No matter how good you get accidents do happen (usually involving kids :)). You never know when you will have to preform an emergency test for something specific.
Oh, and $10 at Home Depot will get you at least 100lbs of sand, if not more. I only have 50lbs of sand in my 55 and it works fine. Though I wouldn't mind going to 65-75 lbs.

greenmagi said:
that really depends on what you like/want
what is your waters natural PH and KH? if you can find that out it would be helpfull to me at least in suggesting something..

Do you mean like in the tap water? I live in Las Vegas. How could I find out?

a gravel vac is very helpful (especially the ones that directly hook up to your faucet), timer(s), gfci plug/strip, etc.

Little Things:
$10-Food
$2-Thermometer
$6-Gravel Vac
$10-Dechlorinator
$5-net
$5-Timer
$10-Surge Protector

$48-Total

I would say this is erring on the cheap side... but some of this you don't necessarily need. However, I would highly recommend food. My fish really seem to like it.

rhymeswithbear said, "...However, I would highly recommend food. My fish really seem to like it."

Yeah, but your fish are totally spoiled. :lol:

Over at Petco I paid $199.oo for my 55 gallon kit. It included Tank, Hood, Lights, Filter, Heater, some cheapy decor and a couple other odd items. The filter and such, while not the best.. are certainly good enough to get you started.

Also, remember one thing... the prices in almost every store are negotiable. Once your at your LFS and have everything piled up, ask the guy "about how much is this gonna cost me?"... when he gives you his price, ask him "Is that the best you can do for me?" and then just look at him. That question is often good for an extra 10-15% savings.

Back
Top Bottom