New 55g tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billythekid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

First post so point me in the right direction if I format anything incorrectly etc

Recently purchased a 55g 4 foot tank. I have previously had community aquariums successfully but not in quite a while, I'm thinking I want to stick to an Aftican kind of theme but am open to using other fish to fill the tank if compatible.

The two fish I most want to keep are and African leaf fish (ctenopoma) and the African butterfly fish. My research so far has turned up a lot of conflicting results about the compatibility of these two fish with each other and other species, so any help in regards to this would be much appreciated.

As well as these fish I'm also thinking of some kind of synodontis/featherfin catfish.

Finally I would like some kind of schooling fish that will add colour to the mid level of the tank if possible.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions

What are your water parameters? I once looked in to getting African Leaf fish, but it turns out that my water is far too base and hard for them. I believe they also prefer planted tanks, but, as always, I could be wrong.
I believe, due to their easygoing nature, that tank mates should also be easygoing, and able to tolerate soft, acidic water. And big enough to not be eaten. I'm going by memory here, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

What are your water parameters? I once looked in to getting African Leaf fish, but it turns out that my water is far too base and hard for them. I believe they also prefer planted tanks, but, as always, I could be wrong.
I believe, due to their easygoing nature, that tank mates should also be easygoing, and able to tolerate soft, acidic water. And big enough to not be eaten. I'm going by memory here, so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm yet to set up the tank yet so water parameters aren't really the issue at the moment, I've heard that PH around 7 is ideal for these type of fish though which suits the tap water in my area.

Yes I am planning on having a heavily planted tank with lots of caves and hiding places as well

Back
Top Bottom