New 55gal cichlid tank cycle help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
It been a while since Ive posted on the forums here, but since I recently bought a 55 gallon setup for my mbuna tank I have a few questions to make sure Its done right the first time. I have a 29 gallon community tank thats been up and running for ever year thats coming down to make room for the new tank. I was thinking of using the bio media from its HOB as well as put some of the gravel in my Rena XP3 to kickstart the cycle.
My question is if I seed the tank in this way do I have to wait before I add my cichlids? Should I keep a few of the community fish I have and put them in the 55 gallon to really ensure its cycled?

Thanks in advance! (y)
Kyle

I would suggest waiting at least two weeks before adding fish. You need to make sure that the seed takes and will grow into a tree. Hope this helps!

I was thinking of waiting a few weeks just to be sure too... thanks! What do you think of adding the community fish in the tank in the mean time? Should I discard the 29 gallons in the old tank or is it ok to add the already dechlorinated water right to the 55 gallon?

You can add it and the community fish. All of this will help with the cycling of the tank.

If you are upgrading you can move everything (including fish) on the same day. If the old filter is too small for the new tank you can run the old filter next to the new for a month or move the old media to the new filter. By moving the filter you are instantly cycling the tank. Keep an eye on parameters for a few weeks (and after you remove the old filter if you use it) just to make sure. Some BB will have been lost in the old substrate (if not used in new tank).
Letting the tank sit for 2 weeks, with or without seeded media, will do nothing unless there is an ammonia source.

Alrighty so ill add everything in at once and wait a bit before i add the cichlids. I know it is recommended to add all the cichlids together to avoid having the original ones claim all the territories, but will it be to much of a bio load for the tank? They will be small (1-1 1/2'') and I was thinking of adding 12-15 and taking out the ones that end up being too aggressive. Or should I add them one species group at at time (3 or 4 fish)?

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, but yes.. the 29 gallon tank will be taken down and replaced with the 55 gallon. I was thinking of moving the fish from the 29 along with the media into the 55 and wait a few weeks until the tank is all settled biologically. Then ill take the community fish back to the store and use the credit for my cichlids. Im also a little worried about putting all my cichlids in at once, I dont want to spike ammonia too high.

kyle6367 said:
Sorry for the confusion, but yes.. the 29 gallon tank will be taken down and replaced with the 55 gallon. I was thinking of moving the fish from the 29 along with the media into the 55 and wait a few weeks until the tank is all settled biologically. Then ill take the community fish back to the store and use the credit for my cichlids. Im also a little worried about putting all my cichlids in at once, I dont want to spike ammonia too high.

Ah. Got ya :) that's what I get for getting on AA so early in the morning! lol :)
That sounds like a good plan. I think it's entirely possible to add all your cichlids at once if they are small. You will have to do some extra water changes and testing but I wouldn't think it would be too bad.

Ok, thanks! Well I'll be washing the pool filter sand and arranging the rocks tomorrow and hopefully start up the new filters soon! :D I'll post update pics as I make progress... thanks for the advice!
Kyle

Here is the tank mostly done! I am just waiting for the cycle to complete and I'll be adding my cichlids! :dance: Any suggestions are more then welcome...

Attachments

• clear tank.jpg
    clear tank.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom