New 60 Gallon, Need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dschave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We jjust purchased a new 60 gallon with stand and realized that set up, the tank is only about an inch from the wall. I would like to keep this distance or minimize the distance created with the add on necessities.

I've looked at different filter designs and was wondering if the in-tank filters are adequate. I would like to run 2 as I would like to keep the water as clear as possible.

Also interested in the best size, kind of heater for a tank of this size.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

We jjust purchased a new 60 gallon with stand and realized that set up, the tank is only about an inch from the wall. I would like to keep this distance or minimize the distance created with the add on necessities.

I've looked at different filter designs and was wondering if the in-tank filters are adequate. I would like to run 2 as I would like to keep the water as clear as possible.

Also interested in the best size, kind of heater for a tank of this size.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

:welcome: to the forum!

Are you talking about internal filters or undergravel filters? Whichever you as talking about, sadly neither is very efficient. I recommend looking at hang on back filters or canister filters. Canisters are by far the best, but you can definitely tell by their much higher price. Aquaclear hang on backs are probably some of the best quality, an aquaclear 110 would give you a good turnover rate. Also, the fluval c-series HOBs are efficient. For canisters, if you are willing to pay that much, check in to the fluval 06 series.

I was actually referring to internal, not under gravel, and my main reason for asking was to eliminate the need for pulling the aquarium and stand away from the wall enough to accomodate a HOB filter design. But...we will do what we need to. Is there a thinner HOB design that is adequate? Again, I would prefer to run 2....and I'm not opposed to paying whatever price it takes (within reason of course, I dont want to pay $250 for filter systems).

I was researching the Fluval internal systems, but I honestly don't know enough to make that decision...yet.

i appreciate your reply and advice.

I was actually referring to internal, not under gravel, and my main reason for asking was to eliminate the need for pulling the aquarium and stand away from the wall enough to accomodate a HOB filter design. But...we will do what we need to. Is there a thinner HOB design that is adequate? Again, I would prefer to run 2....and I'm not opposed to paying whatever price it takes (within reason of course, I dont want to pay $250 for filter systems).

I was researching the Fluval internal systems, but I honestly don't know enough to make that decision...yet.

i appreciate your reply and advice.

The aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon only sticks out 3", so maybe you could run two AC50s? You would have to only pull the tank out an additional 2". I think a fluval 406 is around $150, however I am not for sure as I have not priced canisters recently enough to remember.

That's what we will do then. I'll order up 2 Aquaclear 50's.

Heating suggestions?

That's what we will do then. I'll order up 2 Aquaclear 50's.

Heating suggestions?

Eheim jager and finnex titanium heaters are very quality. I would get one around 300w. You definitely do not want to get tight-pursed with heaters, you get what you pay for. Some people have horror stories of their heaters malfunctioning and running full blast all night, getting the temp up to 90+ and killing the fish. I kind of have the opposite issue with my cheap heater, it can take HOURS to raise the temp 2-3 degrees.

Finally got her up and cycling. I got a late start on it so I hope it cycles before my boy's birthday.

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 61
Thanks....my boy and his momma like the colors....gotta keep them happy. Just need to get the stock ironed out finish this cycling and we will be in business.

Back
Top Bottom