New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Thats just 32 newborns, there are still about 15 in the main tank and 18 in the fry tank.

I already sold about 4 of them....that just leaves erm... a never ending supply!!

Oh my god! I hope most of them grow up to be an adult :D those things breed like rabbits!

George9 said:
Oh my god! I hope most of them grow up to be an adult :D those things breed like rabbits!

Well all the ones born today are in the fry net so they arent going to get eaten. I have a feeling most of them will survive

skywhitney said:
Well all the ones born today are in the fry net so they arent going to get eaten. I have a feeling most of them will survive

Oh yeah, they'll be fine in the net. How did you manage to count all of the tiny things?

George9 said:
Oh yeah, they'll be fine in the net. How did you manage to count all of the tiny things?

Believe it or not they all stayed really still for a couple of min (probably scared out of their little minds)

skywhitney said:
Believe it or not they all stayed really still for a couple of min (probably scared out of their little minds)

Aww they're so cute :D

What kind/color platies do you have? Any hybrids?

George9 said:
Aww they're so cute :D

What kind/color platies do you have? Any hybrids?

Ok lets see here lol i have a blue mickey mouse, orange finned mickey mouse, bright yellow mickey mouse (male), black/red tuxedo (male), sunburst, silver/orange wagtail. As far as the babies...who knows!

skywhitney said:
Ok lets see here lol i have a blue mickey mouse, orange finned mickey mouse, bright yellow mickey mouse (male), black/red tuxedo (male), sunburst, silver/orange wagtail. As far as the babies...who knows!

Sweeeetttt! You got lots of variety there! The babies should be a cool color

George9 said:
Sweeeetttt! You got lots of variety there! The babies should be a cool color

Yeah some of them are starting to show some nice color :). One of the fry is already completely yellow so i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

skywhitney said:
Yeah some of them are starting to show some nice color :). One of the fry is already completely yellow so i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Can't wait to see them all grown up :)

I think that i'm going to end up removing 90% of the wisteria from my jungle. It seems to be choking the water sprite out and its just making a mess.

I'll replant some of the choice pieces of the wisteria onto the other side of the tank where there is only the one stem growing right now.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
I think that i'm going to end up removing 90% of the wisteria from my jungle. It seems to be choking the water sprite out and its just making a mess.

I'll replant some of the choice pieces of the wisteria onto the other side of the tank where there is only the one stem growing right now.

Thoughts anyone?

What do you mean by choking? Is it blocking the light?
You'll have some open gaps in there, you gonna plant a few more?

Wisteria is a blight on aquaria, second only to Duckweed. ;) I think I mentioned something like that to you once already. ;) Got much more than you need now don't you? I trade mine to the LFS for store credit.

George9 said:
What do you mean by choking? Is it blocking the light?
You'll have some open gaps in there, you gonna plant a few more?

It was blocking the light and just overbearing the other plants.
I have a huge gap now, i'm going to plant something else in its place. Kinda thinking about some Rotala Indica but im open for suggestions.

blert said:
Wisteria is a blight on aquaria, second only to Duckweed. ;) I think I mentioned something like that to you once already. ;) Got much more than you need now don't you? I trade mine to the LFS for store credit.

Lol i'm taking 17 stems to the lfs to trade in. Oh i have a ton of duckweed in my little tank, i can send ya some if you'd like ;-)

I need some suggestions on what type of plant(s) i should get to fill in my jungle area. Right now i have Diandra and Water Sprite but im still lacking something...
I was thinking Rotala Indica but from what i can tell the leaf structure looks quite similar to my Diandra. The area i'm looking for is bottom left corner.

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
I need some suggestions on what type of plant(s) i should get to fill in my jungle area. Right now i have Diandra and Water Sprite but im still lacking something...
I was thinking Rotala Indica but from what i can tell the leaf structure looks quite similar to my Diandra. The area i'm looking for is bottom left corner.

Indica does look really similar, but also has some pinkish red that would look good. Or, what about some cabomba?

George9 said:
Indica does look really similar, but also has some pinkish red that would look good. Or, what about some cabomba?

The pinkish/red is why i would still consider it as an option. I thought about Cabomba but i'm personally not a fan of it.

Anybody have any experience with any of these plants?
[*] Creeping Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens)
[*] Sunset Hygro (Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig')
[*] Pink Ammannia (Ammannia gracilis)
[*] Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca palustris)

skywhitney said:
The pinkish/red is why i would still consider it as an option. I thought about Cabomba but i'm personally not a fan of it.

Anybody have any experience with any of these plants?
[*] Creeping Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens)
[*] Sunset Hygro (Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig')
[*] Pink Ammannia (Ammannia gracilis)
[*] Mermaid Weed (Proserpinaca palustris)

To be honest, I have not heard of any of those plants. Sorry lol

Had L. Repens once, it never took. Don't know what I did wrong with it. It slowly rotted from the bottom up until I was left with two leaves on an inch of stem. It went in the trash.

H. Polysperma is illegal to buy and sell in Florida, maybe the entire US, and is considered a "noxious weed" I do believe. Can't help you there.

The other two, no experience with.

Back
Top Bottom