New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
I'm determined to at least have it partly filled up and the scaping done tonight....we'll see if i actually make it!

Don't forget the pictures!!

good lord Flourite is a DIRTY substrate....i lost count of how many times i've washed and rinsed it so far...ugh

So here are some pics! Sorry the water is so nasty, its all sorts of dirt from the flourite. These pics are from last night.

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
I think your dw looks really nice in there. :)

thanks! I really like the layout but at times it seems lacking a little something but I'm not sure what...

skywhitney said:
thanks! I really like the layout but at times it seems lacking a little something but I'm not sure what...

Great job!! I'd say some nice Xmas moss or something attached to the dw would fill in what's missing.

You also will have to see what its like when your plants fill in a little. Personally, I have a hard time knowing what it will look like when everything is filled in and grown a bit.
If I was you, I would move the dw bits over to one side or the other so it has a less evenly spaced look. But, I think its looks fine the way you have it too if thats the way you want it. :)

Looks great! The water cleared up a lot. I've never seen a 60 g with those dimensions before but its a cool shape!

George9 said:
Looks great! The water cleared up a lot. I've never seen a 60 g with those dimensions before but its a cool shape!

Its 6 inches wider which makes it nice for the plant spread :)

Great job!! I'd say some nice Xmas moss or something attached to the dw would fill in what's missing.

I attached a java fern to the side of the large DW in hopes that it'll spread with time. Well see if it works like I'm hoping though!

Donkey Gun said:
On the larger piece of dw you there's two great shelves for plant growth.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what to put on them. I tried java moss in my last tank and it ended up being a huge mess so I'm kinda leaning away from it right now. Ultimately I think my use of it was wrong though so I could have shot myself in the foot so to speak.

Other than the moss what other plants might work and look good on the the big piece?

Java ferns
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias
Riccia
Hygrophila pinnatifida

I've even heard of glossos being successfully attached to DW.

Donkey Gun said:
Java ferns
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anubias
Riccia
Hygrophila pinnatifida

I've even heard of glossos being successfully attached to DW.

So I'm heading to the lfs tomorrow to see what they have available and will probably pick something up but we'll see.

On a separate note I had a school of 15 neons and found rich on some of them. Needless to say they all caught it so after a pretty hard struggle (I lost 7 of them )-: ) I decided to return the ones that were still alive and get my money back.

So now I need help with stocking ideas! Currently I only have:
1x Clown Pleco
2x Peppered Corys

skywhitney said:
So I'm heading to the lfs tomorrow to see what they have available and will probably pick something up but we'll see.

On a separate note I had a school of 15 neons and found rich on some of them. Needless to say they all caught it so after a pretty hard struggle (I lost 7 of them )-: ) I decided to return the ones that were still alive and get my money back.

So now I need help with stocking ideas! Currently I only have:
1x Clown Pleco
2x Peppered Corys

I'd up the cories to around 8 of them to get a nice school of them at the bottom. How about an angelfish or some kind of ram-German blue or Bolivian?

George9 said:
I'd up the cories to around 8 of them to get a nice school of them at the bottom. How about an angelfish or some kind of ram-German blue or Bolivian?

yeah I would love an angelfish but I'm not sure if it would munch on any of the smaller guys I'd have in there. I will definitely be upping my school of Corys to a min of 6, those guys are so cool!

Back
Top Bottom