New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After about 30 min of running the CO2 all the plants started pearling like mad. It's nice to see that again :)

I have both of my plant orders coming in tomorrow so i'll post pics once the plants are in the tank.

so 2 out of 3 plants arrived today. Hopefully the other will arrive tomorrow.

Here is the L. Aromatica and Hygrophila Polysperma (not the 'Rosanervig' like i wanted but a start at least). Also a FTS.

Attachments

• 20121214_123102_HDR.jpg
    20121214_123102_HDR.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20121214_123124_HDR.jpg
    20121214_123124_HDR.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20121214_123014_HDR.jpg
    20121214_123014_HDR.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 85
Got my other shipment of plants today. They will have to float around the tank for a while cause I have a team Christmas party to go to but I'll post pics once I get them planted.

Woohoo! :)

The Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' has been planted and was already pearling like mad. Given a couple days or so and all the stems plants should be nice and straight.

Time to get some feedback!
  • I want a new foreground plant, the HM just isn't doing it for me.
  • I'm thinking of removing the front most Amazon Sword since they get so massive.
  • Ideas for other plants to add?
  • Any overall scape comments? (good or bad, it all helps.)

For the foreground plant I don't really want to go down the Dwarf Sag route again cause of how tall and unruly it can get.

I have also added two more bulbs back into my light fixture. I am now running a Quad T5HO again (2 Geisemann Aquaflora, 2 Geisemann Midday).

Attachments

• 20121216_000236.jpg
    20121216_000236.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 95
Looking good, sky!

For a foreground plant, I really like dwarf hairgrass and blyxa japonica. Downoi is also a favorite of mine.

As for other plants, I like Ludwigia Repens, and Marsilea Crenata is one of my favorite plants of all time....(I don't know why lol)

Here is an updated FTS. The plants are starting to fill in :)

Edit: seeing this shot next to the previous one makes me not really like my bulb choices right now. I think I might switch my Aquaflora bulb for a midday. That should give me the nice white light instead of the yellow tint.

Attachments

• image-2483950394.jpg
    image-2483950394.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Here is an updated FTS. The plants are starting to fill in :)

Edit: seeing this shot next to the previous one makes me not really like my bulb choices right now. I think I might switch my Aquaflora bulb for a midday. That should give me the nice white light instead of the yellow tint.

The plants are looking great! And holy crap! Lucky got so big!!

Here is the comparison with the bulbs changed.

Attachments

• 20121226_163633.jpg
    20121226_163633.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20121226_230019_HDR.jpg
    20121226_230019_HDR.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 59
The battle of staghorn has gotten intense. I decided I would cut as much of it out of the tank as I could then daily nuke the hell outta it with H2O2 followed by double doses of Excel. I am left with this sad, sad looking pile of rementants but never fear, it will return to normal as soon as I beat this blasted algae.

img_2270642_0_56c8133f8b9be12b07875eb78602fa9d.jpg

skywhitney said:
The battle of staghorn has gotten intense. I decided I would cut as much of it out of the tank as I could then daily nuke the hell outta it with H2O2 followed by double doses of Excel. I am left with this sad, sad looking pile of rementants but never fear, it will return to normal as soon as I beat this blasted algae.

Haha awesome! Tank doesn't look bad at all

And that angel did grow a ton, it looks like full size in the pic!

Haha awesome! Tank doesn't look bad at all

And that angel did grow a ton, it looks like full size in the pic!

Haha he's grown some but he's maybe only 1/2" larger than when I got him from you.

Haha he's grown some but he's maybe only 1/2" larger than when I got him from you.

Seriously, I know I say this A LOT but he just looks so much bigger, maybe because the tanks smaller. Glad he's doing well!!

He's doing great. Happy as can be and showing a brilliant blue sheet to him. I'll see if I can get a pic of the blue but no promises.

pulled out as much of the algae infested substrate as i could and nuked it with a straight H2O2 bath. What I couldn't pull out I hit with H2O2 and excel, I'm hoping the substrate will be a nice pretty red color with dead staghorn tomorrow! :)

I did a rescape and some work on the tank tonight. It's not much but here it is. As of tonight, it seems like I have eradicated 90% of the staghorn in the tank. Part of the reason for the new scape is to allow for a better flow through the tank.

img_2286121_0_8dafe71091761479adf0c934bf7ff4fe.jpg

I did a rescape and some work on the tank tonight. It's not much but here it is. As of tonight, it seems like I have eradicated 90% of the staghorn in the tank. Part of the reason for the new scape is to allow for a better flow through the tank.

I've been trying to click the pic but it says error, it always does that to me on this app. Anyway, it looks nice from the thumbnail I can see :) I'm glad the staghorn is 90% gone. Sounds like a PITB lol

Back
Top Bottom