New 75 Gallon Planted Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patriot1313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75-gallon tank along with a 20-gallon sump tank. I am looking for advice and modifications to my current fish selection for this aquarium. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Main fish:

-10 neon tetras
-1 Threadfin Geophagus
-2 Kribensis Cichlid
-1 Gold & Red Spotted Severum
-1 Clown Lab Cichlid
-2 Python Island Cichlid
-3 indian pufferfish (not too sure about these)

Cleanup crew:

-5 amano shrimp
-10 blue velvet shrimp
-3 otto cat
-5 Zebra nerite snail

I'll go out on a limb and say the cichlids or puffs will decimate your clean up crew [shrimp] in first week..
The clown lab and python lab are Mbuna and do not even come close to matching the water parameters needed of your otherfish.
You have chosen some fish that like the hardest water most can make and others that prefer soft..I would choose again..
Try using this app to help with compatibility; AQAdvisor
After the water parameter issue the behavior /personality of fish don't match either..If the neons don't just die from being sensitive I'll bet the cichlids work on them when they finish up eating the shrimp...

Well... you have good taste in fish. There is a whole bunch wrong with that list. Theoretically you could put all those fish in a 75, you'd have 60-80% loss within months me thinks. 75 is a good size tank, many options. You could also get a few smaller tanks if you want variety. Kribs and neons in a 29, Indian dwarf puffers, otos and large amano in a 15. You could do an African tank in a 55. All those tanks are on sale at petco now.

Well... you have good taste in fish. There is a whole bunch wrong with that list. Theoretically you could put all those fish in a 75, you'd have 60-80% loss within months me thinks. 75 is a good size tank, many options. You could also get a few smaller tanks if you want variety. Kribs and neons in a 29, Indian dwarf puffers, otos and large amano in a 15. You could do an African tank in a 55. All those tanks are on sale at petco now.

Yeah, but my plan was to try and make a community tank in a 75-gallon tank which I already have set up at home, is there any way to get fish that will coexist properly.

Yeah, but my plan was to try and make a community tank in a 75-gallon tank which I already have set up at home, is there any way to get fish that will coexist properly.
Absolutely. Africans make that a little tougher. You could do some medium sized sa/.ca cichlids, corys, pleco. Larger black neons. If you want more fish variety look into dwarf cichlids, then you could get a nice big shoal of cardinal tetras, a large troop of corys, oto cats, large amano shrimp.

Absolutely. Africans make that a little tougher. You could do some medium sized sa/.ca cichlids, corys, pleco. Larger black neons. If you want more fish variety look into dwarf cichlids, then you could get a nice big shoal of cardinal tetras, a large troop of corys, oto cats, large amano shrimp.

How does this look?

5 x Golden Oto (Otocinclus affinis)
5 x Zebra Nerite Snail (Neritina natalensis sp. Zebra)
5 x Amano Shrimp (Cardina multidentata)
3 x Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) (May have to take out)
1 x Severum (Heros efascticious)
10 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
5 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
1 x Betta [Male] (Betta splendens) (May have to take out)

I'll go out on a limb and say the cichlids or puffs will decimate your clean up crew [shrimp] in first week..
The clown lab and python lab are Mbuna and do not even come close to matching the water parameters needed of your otherfish.
You have chosen some fish that like the hardest water most can make and others that prefer soft..I would choose again..
Try using this app to help with compatibility; AQAdvisor
After the water parameter issue the behavior /personality of fish don't match either..If the neons don't just die from being sensitive I'll bet the cichlids work on them when they finish up eating the shrimp...

How does this look?

I have a 75-gallon tank along with a 20-gallon sump tank. I am looking for advice and modifications to my current fish selection for this aquarium. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Main fish:

-10 neon tetras
-1 Threadfin Geophagus
-2 Kribensis Cichlid
-1 Gold & Red Spotted Severum
-1 Clown Lab Cichlid
-2 Python Island Cichlid
-3 indian pufferfish (not too sure about these)

Cleanup crew:

-5 amano shrimp
-10 blue velvet shrimp
-3 otto cat
-5 Zebra nerite snail
Hi Pat dont mine my spelling english is not my primary language my name Prolific am a artis from Ct i have a puffer tank absolutely one of my best and friends favorite and they will kill all your fish in time it mate take a few days or few months but lil by lil they will strike your fish dont let that innocent cute face fool you they also have teeth one bite from a puffer to another fish they will eventualy die do to a special poision not dangerous to us but to small fish. Deadly unless your puffer is sick or special they will do it at night when your not watching youll see. Puffer fish that will work for your tank will be the dwarf puffer but the indian puffer they called them the leopord of fresh water tanks but it is by far the cutes fish i owed i have a 100g with 6 only no other fish in there. Puffer love tank with sand they love it they do circle on the sand. With they bellys i feed mines live crab and frozen crab and shrimp i learned the hard way i refuse to get reid of my puffer the cuttes most aggrecive fish i ever owned mines killed all my elictric blue chiclid with one bite they die few dies later hit me up if you have any more question theres lots to know how to care for this coloful monster and this fish is for the experience aquris its not a fish for bigginers what so ever. P.s dont mine my spellings english is not my primaty language also indian puffer at adult age move to brackish water they will die or get stress and they bright white under belly will get greyish brown if there stress thats how you know they are ready for brackish water

Hi Pat dont mine my spelling english is not my primary language my name Prolific am a artis from Ct i have a puffer tank absolutely one of my best and friends favorite and they will kill all your fish in time it mate take a few days or few months but lil by lil they will strike your fish dont let that innocent cute face fool you they also have teeth one bite from a puffer to another fish they will eventualy die do to a special poision not dangerous to us but to small fish. Deadly unless your puffer is sick or special they will do it at night when your not watching youll see. Puffer fish that will work for your tank will be the dwarf puffer but the indian puffer they called them the leopord of fresh water tanks but it is by far the cutes fish i owed i have a 100g with 6 only no other fish in there. Puffer love tank with sand they love it they do circle on the sand. With they bellys i feed mines live crab and frozen crab and shrimp i learned the hard way i refuse to get reid of my puffer the cuttes most aggrecive fish i ever owned mines killed all my elictric blue chiclid with one bite they die few dies later hit me up if you have any more question theres lots to know how to care for this coloful monster and this fish is for the experience aquris its not a fish for bigginers what so ever. P.s dont mine my spellings english is not my primaty language also indian puffer at adult age move to brackish water they will die or get stress and they bright white under belly will get greyish brown if there stress thats how you know they are ready for brackish water

Thank you very much for your insight, I will probably just take out the pufferfish or opt for the dwarf puffer as you were saying then.

How does this look?

Looks much better..
The betta and severum may not work in your plans but it looks like you are aware about betta.
IMO the severum will grow big.They say 7 inches possibly? Also listed as semi aggressive which would quickly end your shrimp IMO...I have never kept severum though so?

Looks much better..
The betta and severum may not work in your plans but it looks like you are aware about betta.
IMO the severum will grow big.They say 7 inches possibly? Also listed as semi aggressive which would quickly end your shrimp IMO...I have never kept severum though so?

Yeah, I decided to add the severum as sort of my main centerpiece display fish, and I'm aware they can grow quite large, but I think I have the proper filtration to support all of that. For the shrimp issue, I would probably put some in and see how he acts towards them and hopefully, they coexist if not I could always do without them. Also, how do you feel about the 3 Kribensis Cichlid?

Yah... best laid plans.. that sev could wipe that tank over night. I've had issues with larger cichlids in tanks with similar sized.. one bad apple. I'd recommend picking something other than a sev. Acara are cool

Yah... best laid plans.. that sev could wipe that tank over night. I've had issues with larger cichlids in tanks with similar sized.. one bad apple. I'd recommend picking something other than a sev. Acara are cool

OK, so you think I should take out the severum and the 3 Kribensis Cichlids? Any recommendations on what to put in their place?

The kribs are ok..I think Brook will agree .They do not get as large..
Nice medium sized centerpiece fish is a pearl gourami [male].

The kribs are ok..I think Brook will agree .They do not get as large..
Nice medium sized centerpiece fish is a pearl gourami [male].

So Kribs shouldn't be too aggressive? Also what about maybe putting a nice discus in there

Back
Top Bottom