New 75 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't you say you used the entire bottle of bacteria?

Wouldn't buy more anyway, after you add the bacteria it forms in your filter. The water column contains very little bacteria, it builds in your filter. That is why you only rinse your filter pads, media,sponges in used tank water after a water change to avoid killing the bacteria, never replace (unless falling apart) or rinse in tap water.

What water conditioner /dechlorinator are you using?

Need to use at every water change to remove chlorine and other heavy metals from the water. Prime is highly concentrated and does this in addition to detoxifying ammonia & nitrites.

I always keep prime and another conditioner on hand because prime is $, many never use anything else.

Didn't you say you used the entire bottle of bacteria?

Wouldn't buy more anyway, after you add the bacteria it forms in your filter. The water column contains very little bacteria, it builds in your filter. That is why you only rinse your filter pads, media,sponges in used tank water after a water change to avoid killing the bacteria, never replace (unless falling apart) or rinse in tap water.

We did but they have a different kind at Walmart here (no fish store local). And just learned about not changing the filter!

What water conditioner /dechlorinator are you using?

Need to use at every water change to remove chlorine and other heavy metals from the water. Prime is highly concentrated and does this in addition to detoxifying ammonia & nitrites.

I always keep prime and another conditioner on hand because prime is $, many never use anything else.

API tap water conditioner. I can order Prime though, we just have this because it was from our Walmart which is basically the only place to get anything in our small town.

Would I feed them or wait?

That's OK one bottle should do the trick, it just kick starts the start of a cycle doesn't make it happen instantly.

You won't need to buy more, many call bacteria in a bottle... Magic beans anyway. Lol

Last edited:
Yes, but feed fish lightly as excess food will create added ammonia during decomposition.

Contrary to many peoples thoughts, fish can survive for days without food. Their stomach is extremely small.

Yes, but feed fish lightly as excess food will create added ammonia during decomposition.

Contrary to many peoples thoughts, fish can survive for days without food. Their stomach is extremely small.

All but the hurt one are swimming around, we will do another 25% water change tomorrow and feed them then. Thank you so much for your help!

All but the hurt one are swimming around, we will do another 25% water change tomorrow and feed them then. Thank you so much for your help!

Update: the hurt one finally came up and is swimming (a little crazy) around. We see now that his ventral fin is missing which I am assuming is why he was laying on his side and is swimming silly. I also read it can grow back so I am not giving up hope!

Everyone is alive and swimming around in both tanks this morning! We ended up doing a 25% change in the 10gal too last night. I fed the 3 mollies I tiny bit this morning but the little black one didn't eat so I will have to keep an eye on her. When will I know it's okay to put the mollies into the 75gal?

You will have an idea what to do with the mollies after you test the water. If the 10 gallon tank was never cycled either you could probably put them in the 75 now as long as you monitor the water quality and keep up with the water changes. 75 gallons is a lot more water so the water quality will go down slower making it easier to keep a eye on the water. You would also only be doing a fish-in cycle on one tank, would then finish the cycle in the 10 gallon without fish.

You will have an idea what to do with the mollies after you test the water. If the 10 gallon tank was never cycled either you could probably put them in the 75 now as long as you monitor the water quality and keep up with the water changes. 75 gallons is a lot more water so the water quality will go down slower making it easier to keep a eye on the water. You would also only be doing a fish-in cycle on one tank, would then finish the cycle in the 10 gallon without fish.

The 10 gallon was set up for over a month with water but for some reason we didn't have the filter in it, when the mollies arrived we remembered and put the filter in, so it sorta cycled? But not really.

Then no it's not cycled, would put them in 75 because that will be easier to control and ultimately safer for fish. But that's good because then you can do a fishless cycle in 10 and it may be done sooner than the fish-in cycle in the 75. Could use for quarantine /hospital tank then if you have issues.

Bacterial bloom, fairly typical near the beginning of a cycle. Should go away in a few days. For the green, that's algae usually from to much light. Does your tank get direct sunlight, if not try turning your light in less hours per day.

Bacterial bloom, fairly typical near the beginning of a cycle. Should go away in a few days. For the green, that's algae usually from to much light. Does your tank get direct sunlight, if not try turning your light in less hours per day.

Yeah it does get a lot of sun but I kept the actual tank light off most of the day.

Direct sunlight will cause algae, try to reduce the amount of direct sun if you can then the green should go away also.

Back
Top Bottom